Visual approaches

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Bluestream

Visual approaches

Post by Bluestream »

Hi,

I've flown a few of the I-ratings now (completed the I4) and am a bit confused about what is expected of me after getting a visual approach.

When am I expected to see the airport, as in how far out? I think they seem pretty hard to find when unfamiliar with the area. Is there a point where the controller will ask me to fly another approach instead if I have not seen the airport? When doing a visual approach yesterday, I couldn't see the airport until about 5-6 miles out, possibly because of my sim/scenery/screen. Everything worked out fine in my Cherokee doing 100 knots yesterday but I would like to start flying turboprops or smaller jets and I have a feeling things will be happening a lot faster and will be a lot harder.

When contacting tower, should I expect instructions to join the pattern similar to a VFR flight or is the landing up to me? If it is up to me, are there any standard procedures as for how to navigate to the runway, should I just fly one of the published approaches anyway (and take shortcuts where I feel like I safely can)?

I'll admit, I haven't looked through all of the approach workshop videos yet, still working on it, but if I'm not mistaken the visual approach is not discussed in any of them. Is there any other place where I can read about them, or am I just making this harder than it needs to be?
jtbarton

Re: Visual approaches

Post by jtbarton »

Good question, Normally when in VMC [Visual conditions], the controller will give you a point out for the airport around 7- 10 miles out, depending on the airport. At that point, or before, it would be a good idea to look at the airport diagram for the arrival airport. A good example of this would be Burbank [KBUR]. This airport is close proximity to 2 other toward fields, Whiteman [KWHP] and Van Nuys, [KVNY]. as we look at the diagram, we see that there are 2 runways intersecting each other in a almost lower-case t formation. So we can determine that out of the three airports we see, one has 2 parallel runways so we quickly eliminate that option [Van Nuys]. Out of the 2 others we see, one has a solo runway so we know this can not be it [Whiteman]. So, we are left with what has to be Burbank, 2 runways looking like what is depicted on the diagram. At that point we can confirm with the controller "We have the field in sight" and from that point you can expect a clearance for the approach.
If this option does not seem to work, try looking at the Skyvector VFR map. We see that Burbank is just to the southeast of rising terrain, so we can use that terrain as a visual landmark in terms of finding the airport. We can also see that Burbank is located right next to the 4 stacks [smoke stacks] so depending on your scenery, this may help as well
If these fail, try to get a new airport point out from the controller [It may go from "Airport 1 o'clock and 7 miles" To "Airport 4 o'clock and 4 miles in just a matter of minutes"].
Otherwise, I would try to cancel IFR, call tower and fly award the airport to attempt to land. Or, I would get a instrument approach from the controller at last resort, especially if you are not fully acclimated with flying one.

As for your second question, either tower or approach will give you instructions for landing. "N12345 cleared visual approach runway 30, enter left downwind, contact tower 123.45"
Bluestream

Re: Visual approaches

Post by Bluestream »

Thanks for the explanation jtbarton. I've flown a few visual approaches in my turbine duke now without any problems. It just really helps to know what to expect beforehand.