From Coliseum Route north to Whiteman

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Turner

From Coliseum Route north to Whiteman

Post by Turner »

Can someone please advise expected radio sequencing (and frequencies if possible) when traveling north via Coliseum Route to Whiteman?

Also - when entering the Coliseum Route from the South, where/when is the expected Approach frequency change?

Thanks!
Andrew
Kyle.Sanders

Re: From Coliseum Route north to Whiteman

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Switch to the KLAX TAC chart and look to the left. A description of the different bravo transitions are there give you all you need to transit it.
Kyle Sanders
Turner

Post by Turner »

Kyle.Sanders wrote:Switch to the KLAX TAC chart and look to the left. A description of the different bravo transitions are there give you all you need to transit it.
Thanks Kyle - I'm familiar with the published part - but have experienced some unexpected things entering/exiting the route I'm trying to sort out.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Ah. Well, the sectors for radar controllers are not published in a very definitive way (they are sometimes dynamic anyways).

I am curious as to what happened that was unexpected...
Kyle Sanders
Turner

Post by Turner »

Kyle.Sanders wrote:Ah. Well, the sectors for radar controllers are not published in a very definitive way (they are sometimes dynamic anyways).

I am curious as to what happened that was unexpected...
Hi Kyle - without getting into too much detail, I'm trying to figure out what point to expect for ATC handoffs as well as expected frequencies, particularly when entering and exiting the Coliseum Route northbound.

Have done it a few times and the communications flow wasn't what I expected, for example, being bounced off flight following immediately after leaving Bravo at 8500'. I typically stay on with FF until I report airport in sight, though once or twice I wasn't able to pick it up immediately as I had to wait for traffic to clear to get through Bravo. This is through PHL airspace.

I also rammed Bravo while northbound into the Bravo for the Coliseum Route! Oops... I expected a hand-off to the next approach controller (I think I got one the day before) and was trying to wrestle with getting my autopilot working as expected, and was listening but not looking. As far as that goes, I think I didn't mention to the first controller (contacted leaving Oceanside) that I was intending to fly the Coliseum, though I did ask for Flight Following to Whiteman.

[edit] forgot to mention... enormous value here in the process of reviewing / evaluating these flights!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Once you're talking to Socal, request the Coliseum Route. Don't sweat the location and freqs for the handoffs in advance, that will vary based on several operating conditions.

If you've only requested the transition, then your radar service might be terminated upon leaving the Bravo. However, if you've requested FF to Whiteman, then your service should be kept until you're much closer to the field.
Turner

Post by Turner »

Thank you Keith.
Keith Smith wrote:Once you're talking to Socal, request the Coliseum Route. Don't sweat the location and freqs for the handoffs in advance, that will vary based on several operating conditions.

If you've only requested the transition, then your radar service might be terminated upon leaving the Bravo. However, if you've requested FF to Whiteman, then your service should be kept until you're much closer to the field.