Where can I find the Van Nuys 1 DP?

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Turner

Where can I find the Van Nuys 1 DP?

Post by Turner »

Hi,

I'm starting to read up on the I-5 and can't seem to find the Van Nuys 1... only Van Nuys 3...

Any leads?

thx
Andrew
wmburns

Re: Where can I find the Van Nuys 1 DP?

Post by wmburns »

if you were flying in the real world, would you file an out dated DP? No. Further I doubt ATC would accept any flight plan with an outdated DP.

Seems to me that the web page is slightly out of date in that it should mention the most current DP or include a note to use the most current DP.

Besides, it's not really that easy to locate an outdated plate after some period of time (as you have already found out).
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Also make sure that you always grab the latest versions of the approach charts. Their revisions are not easily identified through the numbering like with SIDs or STARs, but frequencies, headings, altitudes, minimums etc. can change over time and might be different than the ones on the charts attatched to the rating descriptions.
Turner

Post by Turner »

Hi guys,

I always grab the latest versions of whatever charts I need... (usually have them up in another monitor so I can page between them, plus on my iPad.)

I'm not familiar enough with the update cycles of procedures.

wmburns, thanks for the note - to answer your question - The question isn't whether I'd file an outdated DP, the question is whether I'd know if the titles don't match. Because the only one I found was the Van Nuys Three, I didn't know if there were still a Van Nuys One and Two around somewhere, so I didn't make assumptions; plus, that's what the I-5 says! :)

Matthias - thanks, the different titles of the procedure threw me off.

One thing I'd expect is that the procedures would be dated like approach plates but retain the same naming, but I guess that's not the case. I do see some numbering and will look into what may indicate currency on the procedures.
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Just to be very clear, the format of a SID/STAR is always {Name}{Number}, e.g. VAN NUYS THREE, KEPEC THREE, SERFR TWO.

Every time the number changes, it goes up by one and replaces the current procedure, e.g. VAN NUYS THREE makes VAN NUYS TWO and VAN NUYS ONE out of date. All you need to do to find the current procedure is look for the biggest number.

You won't find two procedures with the same name but different numbers at one airport, e.g. VAN NUYS THREE and VAN NUYS TWO would not be both valid at the same time at the same airport.
Turner

Post by Turner »

Thanks Jamie!
Flying Penguin wrote:Just to be very clear, the format of a SID/STAR is always {Name}{Number}, e.g. VAN NUYS THREE, KEPEC THREE, SERFR TWO.

Every time the number changes, it goes up by one and replaces the current procedure, e.g. VAN NUYS THREE makes VAN NUYS TWO and VAN NUYS ONE out of date. All you need to do to find the current procedure is look for the biggest number.

You won't find two procedures with the same name but different numbers at one airport, e.g. VAN NUYS THREE and VAN NUYS TWO would not be both valid at the same time at the same airport.
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

To add to the above: AFAIK the numer goes back to 1 after 9.
Turner

Post by Turner »

Matthias Geiss wrote:To add to the above: AFAIK the numer goes back to 1 after 9.
Thanks again. That's interesting... wonder why they don't simply date code these.
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

Turner wrote:
Matthias Geiss wrote:To add to the above: AFAIK the numer goes back to 1 after 9.
Thanks again. That's interesting... wonder why they don't simply date code these.
Presumably because date stamping them but keeping the name wouldn't allow ATC and pilots to confirm they are looking at the same charts. e.g. filing VNY2 DAG KEPEC3 tells Clearance that you've got the wrong charts for the departure, whereas VNY DAG KEPEC doesn't tell you that.

You could add date stamps to the routing, but it wouldn't be nearly as neat a solution e.g. VNY201511 DAG KEPEC201406 is a handful to say as well as type.
Turner

Post by Turner »

Hi Jamie,

Seems to work on IAPs. How does ATC confirm a pilot has an up-to-date approach plate?

It certainly wouldn't be too hard, but the way it's currently handled seems to work fine, especially knowing that the numbers at the end are always sequential and never simultaneous.

Maybe there's some consistency here I'm overlooking, or simply don't know about yet.

Either way, I'm looking forward to flying the I-5.
Flying Penguin wrote:
Turner wrote:
Presumably because date stamping them but keeping the name wouldn't allow ATC and pilots to confirm they are looking at the same charts. e.g. filing VNY2 DAG KEPEC3 tells Clearance that you've got the wrong charts for the departure, whereas VNY DAG KEPEC doesn't tell you that.

You could add date stamps to the routing, but it wouldn't be nearly as neat a solution e.g. VNY201511 DAG KEPEC201406 is a handful to say as well as type.