I-11 question (hold at PDZ mandatory?)

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Matthias Geiss

I-11 question (hold at PDZ mandatory?)

Post by Matthias Geiss »

I am preparing for the I-11 and just wanted to clarify one thing. The rating description says the hold at PDZ should be flown, even if "the aircraft is high enough to not warrant the holding procedure". However, watching videos of people doing the I-11, it seems that if you're at or above 6700 at PDZ the hold should be omitted.

Should we fly the DP as published and omit the hold if we cross PDZ at or above 6700, or should we request the hold (and probably fly at least one full lap) like the description says?
Ryan B

Re: I-11 question (hold at PDZ mandatory?)

Post by Ryan B »

It looks like the point is to see if you can perform the hold successfully.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

That's what i thought. :)
So I will make sure to get to PDZ early (=low) enough to at least make one lap in the hold for the climb to 6700.
ridikamus

Post by ridikamus »

PDZ is only 4 miles from the airport, the DP specifies a climbing turn immediately, and it's roughly a 6000 foot climb to 6700. Even taking off to the west, away from the VOR, most aircraft would have to work pretty hard to not need the hold. I did it in a Baron and needed a lap in the hold to reach the required altitude.
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Yep, you probably would have to do a pretty wide turn to PDZ or use something like the turbine duke to reach 6700 before PDZ. :)
To come full circle, I will use the DHC-2 Beaver like for the V-1, so no problem getting up there slow enough. :D