I-10, the hard way

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
webstalle

I-10, the hard way

Post by webstalle »

I flew a couple of offline flights, read about holdings, watched Keiths Workshop video and finally started to fly the route required by the I-10 within PE.
Eventually I decided I would be ready for the checkride and announced my intentions to do the I-10.
I screwed up to times, the first one while holding over Guadalupe; I got my IFR clearance to San Luis and off I was - without completing a complete lapse...
In the second run I made it through the hold, had requested the VOR-A approach into KSBP; not sure if I was already cleared for the approach. However, that was what I assumed,
I flew the approach, heard no complaints when I noticed that the departure frequency was on Standby. I switched back and queried ATC that I was 2 NM east of Morrow Bay and hat the airport in sight.
I was advised that Departure tried to call me several times, without getting a response from me, so I failed the I-10 another time.

Today, I went off for another try. All went well (within limits), was about 15 NM south of Morrow Bay when my main screen went dark. My main computer went down. It looks like the Nvidia GTX980 Ti failed. I now have to verify if it is the card. Not that simple because all three cards are watercooled; making the swap of one card to another not a simple task.

Maybe I'm back tomorrow for another run.

Blue Skies

Friedhelm
XP 1153, Win 10 64bit
FAA PPL
I-11, CAT-11,
A2Z ZLA #35, WUS #13, AZ #5
4x( i9-9900k), 4 x nVidia 2080 Ti/1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4) CLS-E-Yoke/Rudder, VTF G1000
http://www.twitch.tv/webstalle
XP Settings: Effects: Max, Text: max, 4xSSAA, Obj: High, Ref: High
Kyle.Sanders

Re: I-10, the hard way

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Ah... Man what a rough ride. Sorry to hear about the cards.
Kyle Sanders
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

I was streaming the scope this morning during your attempt. There was a lot of sympathy for you when your system quit on you. Hope you get it figured out.
webstalle

Post by webstalle »

I nailed it down to the Nvidia card.
I had to swap the card of the Main computer (forward view and x-plane master) with the one providing the left view.
Not that simple because I had to drain the water cool system, unplug the tubes, unmount the cards, swap them and than all the way back.
The problem now occurs on the x-plane client for the left view.
It will take some days to get a replacement.

I consider flying the I-10 this morning without the left view, or running x-plane on the build in card of the left view client.
I just wonder why the card went down that soon, 'cause I bought it september last year.

A failing card or other hardware component is, in terms of flight simulation, something like an engine failure in flight, but without any chance to deal with it.

That's all for now.

Friedhelm
XP 1153, Win 10 64bit
FAA PPL
I-11, CAT-11,
4x( i9-9900k), 4 x nVidia 2080 Ti/1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4) CLS-E-Yoke/Rudder, VTF G1000
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Doing the circling approach without the left view sounds a bit hard to do. Good luck either way!
Kyle Sanders
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

Sorry Friedhelm. I've followed all three of your attmpts on the PE receiver and Marcus' stream. Very sad for you when we saw your computer drop offline. You had that one nailed.

And now you've got me worried because I run a 980 Ti. Best of luck getting back up.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
webstalle

Post by webstalle »

Folks,

I just passed my I-10!

I was a little nervous on the readback of the VOR-A Approach Clearance, I should have kept more calm then.
After the procedure turn, down to 3500, I reported established just before Morrow Bay, since that was what I thought was expected by me from ATC,
but it seems I was told to report inbound Morrow Bay after the procedure turn.

I must become more calm on the radio and listen more carefully. Also, climbing turns in a hold with altitude restrictions must become more proficient.

Adressing the card issue: I ran X-Plane on the build in Intel Graphics card for the left view with settings set to low. New card will arrive next week.
I think I now know why my card went down. All three are water cooled, as I mentioned before. Currently, there is not cooler on the back side of the card.
The case of the main computer has a different airflow compared to the that of the view clients. I just checked the temperature with my finger tips right after touchdown.
It is REALLY hot.

The card will be moved to a different PCI slot, and for all three cards a back plate cooler has been ordered. Cost is about 30 $ per plate. How foolish I was not to order those back plates together with the nvidia cards...

It's time to move on to the I-11.

In just a week from now, I will depart for Florida to work on my real world IFR ticket...

Blue skies,
Friedhelm
XP 1153, Win 10 64bit
FAA PPL
I-11, CAT-11,
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

Congrats Friedhelm. Thanks for the info update on the card too.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Congrats!!!
Kyle Sanders