Question on I-7 procedure turn

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
jimarmstrong

Question on I-7 procedure turn

Post by jimarmstrong »

Hi, all!

I flew the I-7 exam and have a quick question about the procedure turn on the KAVX VOR/DME B approach. The controller on duty mentioned I started my proc turn a bit late. I was looking at the chart and I don't see any distances marked on the chart for where the turn is to begin. I see RIGLI is 5nm out from the SXC VOR and I see the barb indicating the left turn to 307 to begin the reversal, but how would I know how far out from SXC or RIGLI to start the turn? I have a feeling I'm missing something simple on the chart...

Thanks in advance for any help, and a big shout out to all of the PE staff and controllers - you guys really do a great job here and I think I'm going to have a big leg up when I start my real world PPL training this fall because of PE.

-Jim
Matthias Geiss

Re: Question on I-7 procedure turn

Post by Matthias Geiss »

The chart says to remain within 10nm from RIGLI, so you might have been a bit too far out. As far as I understand it, you can start the PT anytime after passing RIGLI, you do not have to be at a certain distance past RIGLI.

jimarmstrong

Post by jimarmstrong »

Matthias Geiss wrote:The chart says to remain within 10nm from RIGLI, so you might have been a bit too far out. As far as I understand it, you can start the PT anytime after passing RIGLI, you do not have to be at a certain distance past RIGLI.
Ahhhh, that's exactly what I was missing!! Thank you, makes perfect sense now!
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

Jim, my mistake. You were within the appropriate airspace the whole time. I said you were 10.3 NM from SXC, but the "remain within 10 NM" waypoint is RIGLI. Disregard what I said last night.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII