CAT 05 Questions

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
jiva602

CAT 05 Questions

Post by jiva602 »

CAT 05:
I did a “dry run” of the flight from KSMX to KBFL. During the flight, I think there was a shift change of the controllers; this may affect the answer to my first question.

*I contacted Santa Barbara Approach just after leaving KSMX Delta, but later was never told to contact Los Angeles Center, was handed off "directly" to Bakersfield Approach. Yesterday afternoon was a busy day and, as usual, controllers were on it. I fully understand that the script for the CAT 05 is a general guide and exact to the letter, but there were points when I questioned whether I needed to act or simply wait.

1)Is this common? Did I do something wrong?

**I received a squawk code from Santa Barbara Approach.

2)Do I leave that in the box even on the ground at Meadows?

This flight seemed a bit hectic with the hand offs and radio work – I love it!

For a beginner, I believe one of the most challenging parts to this is being patient and waiting to be contacted by the controllers. While waiting for the hand off to LA Ctr or Bakersfield App, I kept wondering if I was on the right freq and if they remembered me :lol: – Sure enough, they did.

I will be at work this evening, sadly will miss the live workshop (barring a miracle), but will watch the recording later :)

Thank you,

Jiva
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11
Kyle.Sanders

Re: CAT 05 Questions

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

1) the squawk code is given to you so the radar controller (SBA Approach) can get a data tag for you. You did nothing wrong. This is normal.

2) Leaving the code in your transponder isn't important unless ground radar surveillance is in use. For example KSNA Airport Diagram is attached.
Attachments
IMG_2820.PNG
IMG_2820.PNG (118.59 KiB) Viewed 6232 times
Kyle Sanders
jiva602

Post by jiva602 »

Kyle.Sanders wrote:1) the squawk code is given to you so the radar controller (SBA Approach) can get a data tag for you. You did nothing wrong. This is normal.
Squawk code makes total sense but...

Why didn't I get handed off to LA cntr like in the guide for CA 05? That is what I was really wondering in case i didn't do something I was supposed to - or does it happen sometimes and other times no?

Thanks
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

What was the highest altitude you climbed to? If you stayed low, SBA Approach airspace likely covered your entire flight and no handoff to CTR would have been needed.
Kyle Sanders
jiva602

Post by jiva602 »

Let there be light! I was at 5,500 highest.

Thanks
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

SBA and BFL TRACONs are not adjacent, so the altitude is irrelevant for this flight. The controller neglected to issue a handoff to LA CTR (not something you have to worry about) and eventually just handed you straight to BFL approach.

Try not to take the transcript so literally. The only thing to really take away from that portion of the transcript is that once you establish contact with SBA approach, you will be handed through a series of controllers until you are handed to BFL tower. Whether that involves LA center or not really doesn't matter a great deal, nor do the specific frequencies.

By way of a practical example from the real world, when I takeoff from N07 heading northeast to KASH in the real world, the first, second and third departure control frequencies that I'm given will vary from day to day based on the runway configurations at KEWR and KLGA. It just isn't that important. All that matters is that you respond to the frequency change :)
jiva602

Post by jiva602 »

Keith Smith wrote:SBA and BFL TRACONs are not adjacent, so the altitude is irrelevant for this flight. The controller neglected to issue a handoff to LA CTR (not something you have to worry about) and eventually just handed you straight to BFL approach.

Try not to take the transcript so literally. The only thing to really take away from that portion of the transcript is that once you establish contact with SBA approach, you will be handed through a series of controllers until you are handed to BFL tower. Whether that involves LA center or not really doesn't matter a great deal, nor do the specific frequencies.

By way of a practical example from the real world, when I takeoff from N07 heading northeast to KASH in the real world, the first, second and third departure control frequencies that I'm given will vary from day to day based on the runway configurations at KEWR and KLGA. It just isn't that important. All that matters is that you respond to the frequency change :)
This is precisely what I wanted to know. Until I have more experience, I suppose I will stress out a bit not know exactly what is coming, but I can be confident I'm getting the tools to do it right, whatever it is.

Thanks
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

No problem. It is not a sign of being under prepared if you don't know what frequency change is about to occur while enroute. Certainly, there are times where you can make an educated guess as to when you can reasonably expect the next frequency to be BFL tower, but it's unreasonable for any pilot to know which frequencies will be used enroute. Those involve internal knowledge of ATC sector layouts and operating configurations which aren't published on any charts.

Think about it this way, I flew coast to coast and back in February of 2016 in a GA single engine piston aircraft. Do you think it would be reasonable for me to try to work out all the frequency changes I'd be receiving on a given 600nm flight? There is absolutely nothing wrong with simply responding to the frequency change when it's issued. Just be sure to listen to your callsign and the instruction as you always do if you're monitoring the radio.