CAT 07 passed

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
webstalle

CAT 07 passed

Post by webstalle »

Just passed the CAT-07!

However, a question came up. From my understanding, CAT-07 has to be flown without flight following.
When I called ground, I advised that this flight will be for the CAT 07. After that, I reported my current location at the airport and my intentions (VFR to the west).
However, I wasd assigned a discrete squawk code. I know, that test administrator and ground controller are the very same person, but work to different roles:

As the test conductor, he knew that I will request the C transition, which requires a discrete squawk code.
But in his role as GROUND, he has no clue as to what my intention was.

Or did I get something wrong?

Friedhelm
XP 1153, Win 10 64bit
FAA PPL
I-11, CAT-11,
A2Z ZLA #35, WUS #13, AZ #5
4x( i9-9900k), 4 x nVidia 2080 Ti/1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4) CLS-E-Yoke/Rudder, VTF G1000
http://www.twitch.tv/webstalle
XP Settings: Effects: Max, Text: max, 4xSSAA, Obj: High, Ref: High
Keith Smith

Re: CAT 07 passed

Post by Keith Smith »

You're going to transition the Class C airspace, so you will be receiving radar service for that portion of the flight. There's nothing in the rating that says you cannot coordinate this radar service on the ground prior to takeoff (as you did on one of the previous ratings).

However, if your only request was VFR to the west, then the ground controller should not have issued a discrete squawk code and a departure frequency. Since it happened, though, you can basically treat it as though you had requested flight following from the ground.