Class D- Two way communication : TWR and/or APP?

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Althar93

Class D- Two way communication : TWR and/or APP?

Post by Althar93 »

Hello all,

I just completed the CAT-06 and had a rather simple question regarding Class D airspace & the rules for entering it : is contact with the attached APP frequency sufficient, or does the two-way communication have to be strictly established with the TWR to enter the airspace?

During my CAT-06 flight, I made sure to stay out of the Mojave airspace until I established contact with the TWR, but at the time, this was mainly because I was not entirely sure whether being in a two-way communication with Joshua APP entitled me to proceed into Mojave airspace regardless of having spoken to Mojave TWR?

Thanks in advance,
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: Class D- Two way communication : TWR and/or APP?

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Unless the approach controller specifically tells you to remain outside the class D while you're under radar services, feel free to fly right through it. The approach controller is going to do one of 3 things:

1) Tell you to remain outside the class D
2) Coordinate your transition or arrival with the tower controller (which is invisible to you)
3) Terminate your radar services when you are still outside the class D, in which case you can contact the tower prior to entering the class D on your own.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Althar93

Re: Class D- Two way communication : TWR and/or APP?

Post by Althar93 »

Thanks a lot for the quick reply & for the good explanation.