I3 Failure

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
BFG

I3 Failure

Post by BFG »

Failed the I-3 today, after a perfect record of V and C ratings to date. Controller did her best to be patient with me, and my flying it with no GPS / moving map and in IFC was probably a bit much to start given that my IFR skills are rusty. But she said "Santa Monica 125 radial" and I was so sure I was going to Seal Beach first on that TEC route I did't even hear the SMO part. So I put 125 on the tail of the VOR (which was tuned to SLI), saw I was west of the radial, started to wonder what the hell was going on, blew the altitude (which I don't think she noticed, or she was too kind to mention), got the altitude back, and finally turned East in search of that 125 radial.

Which, of course, is the exact opposite direction of the SMO 125.

She sounds so nice when she lets you know you blew it.

Next time I'll do better. Promise.
wesyin

Re: I3 Failure

Post by wesyin »

I also failed I3 tonight (Monday). I took the KBUR visual 15 approach, instead of the ILS 8 approach, just to avoid a 4-knot crosswind. That was silly. I will try the test again tomorrow.

During today's test, I was also given the SMO 125 radial. Just as you did, I set 305 on the OBS and saw I had flown past the course, not realizing NAV1 was still set to SLI. I thought I had SMO but she gave me a wrong radial, so I asked her to verify. Then I suddenly realized I had the wrong VOR. I maintained my heading though. Lesson learned!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There is an inconsistency in the I-3 text. The requirements say that the I-3 must be flown, but later in the rating text it says that it should be flown winds permitting. We'll talk about this internally and either make it more clear, either way.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Done, ILS 8 is 100% mandatory. The rating now recommends custom weather if real world weather makes the ILS RWY 8 unflyable.
wesyin

Post by wesyin »

Keith Smith wrote:Done, ILS 8 is 100% mandatory. The rating now recommends custom weather if real world weather makes the ILS RWY 8 unflyable.
I certainly wasn't even slightly unhappy. After all, no family or friend was looking me taking the test. :lol: But, thanks for improving the I-3 webpage.

The visual approach of Burbank Rwy 15 for the first time and in the night was an exciting experience.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I appreciate that, but it still needed to be corrected :)
wesyin

Post by wesyin »

Just passed I-3 :P Keith was the controller on duty and gave me a "direct SLI." I really like this challenge, which makes me play with the OBS knob on my CDI. The rest of the flight including landing was uneventful (though I forget turning on one of the two landing lights of my Carenado B58/REP). Also, I was a bit too verbal when acknowledging some ATC instructions. @BFG: have you had a chance to re-take I3?

Down the road are several I-rating challenges. I really look forward to it. It's an enjoyable journey, so I won't rush. At some point, I will switch to FF 757v2.
BFG

Post by BFG »

Hi. I took it the very next day and passed with flying colors, again in IMC and again /A. Practice makes perfect. Glad you have it under you're belt, too. Enjoy the I4!
iampaige86

Post by iampaige86 »

I was happy for you guys! Also my hubby pass I-3 today, I was proud of him!