Out of sequence training flights invalidates all passed

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Barrel99

Out of sequence training flights invalidates all passed

Post by Barrel99 »

I have been taking tests randomly because I fly what feels good at the time. I heard last night a controller say that ALL flights have to be flown in sequence otherwise any completed passed flights are considered invalid and you have to RESTART from the beginning (CAT-1) no matter what you have already passed. I understand it is a progressive training program, but to have to invalidate all previous passed flights I don't understand. Also, where does it say that? Thanks.
Marcus Becker

Re: Out of sequence training flights invalidates all passed

Post by Marcus Becker »

I can't find reference anywhere, however it is built on the principle of learning to crawl before you walk and walk before you run. Each lesson is built on the premise that you are using information from previous lessons in order to complete the current task. Therefore, complete the exams sequentially so you may apply lessons learned. If you are a pro already, completing the early exams should be a breeze.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Barrel99 wrote:I have been taking tests randomly because I fly what feels good at the time. I heard last night a controller say that ALL flights have to be flown in sequence otherwise any completed passed flights are considered invalid and you have to RESTART from the beginning (CAT-1) no matter what you have already passed. I understand it is a progressive training program, but to have to invalidate all previous passed flights I don't understand. Also, where does it say that? Thanks.
That controller is incorrect. In order to receive credit for a given CAT rating, you must have completed the preceding CAT ratings. Similarly, in order to receive credit for a given I rating, you must have completed the preceding I ratings.

That's about it in terms of requirements. If you want to fly the I-11 out of the blue even though you've only completed up to the I-5, that's fine. You won't receive credit for the I-11....but it will NOT invalidate your I-1 through I-4. That would be a vindictive and counter-productive policy.
Janevah W

Post by Janevah W »

I heard last night a controller say that ALL flights have to be flown in sequence otherwise any completed passed flights are considered invalid and you have to RESTART from the beginning (CAT-1) no matter what you have already passed.
Though I'm not certain this was the same instance, I do recall explaining for a user the requirements in flying the ratings. My explanation however, was specific to his situation, having not completed any ratings according to what our system showed. I stated, [paraphrased] that for him to receive credit for the rating (I understood he was flying) he would have to begin with the first in the series being either the CAT1 or I-01, which in this case I believe was an "I" rating. That may have been what caused the confusion for the OP. But as Keith clarified in the above post, I will second; all ratings which you have already satisfactorily completed, any rating done out of sequence will NOT invalidate your previous ratings for which you have received credit. To further clarify and as the Pilot Training Program material states the CAT ratings can be done apart from the I ratings and vise versa, but the CAT ratings must be completed sequentially as do the I ratings.

My apologies if I am the one responsible for the confusion caused here. Have no fear, your completed ratings are safe. ;)

Happy Flying!