Instructions after SID (I-6 Rating)

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
simonj2

Instructions after SID (I-6 Rating)

Post by simonj2 »

Earlier today I failed my I-6 rating (first failure!), and I wanted to clarify something...

In my clearance, I was cleared for the LAX 25L departure, SLI8.SLI, which calls for a heading on departure, staying below an altitude until past a radial from SMO, then a different heading, and then to expect radar vectors. However, my clearance was SLI8 departure, then direct SLI VOR. Given the SLI8 departure ends with expecting vectors, I assumed after making the turn where I would expect vectors, that I should have gone direct SLI without vectors. However, this wasn't the case, so I was failed for heading direct to SLI without instruction.

I've tried looking up some resources, but I can't find anything to deal with this particular case.

I think the direct SLI was given just for the event of lost commons, and that whenever there are RV in a procedure (like a SID), you always wait for them, even if the clearance tells you to go direct after a procedure, like in this case. Does that seem right?
Matthias Geiss

Re: Instructions after SID (I-6 Rating)

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Are you sure the clearance was "direct SLI" or rather SLI8 departure, SLI, direct (or similar).
The latter does not instruct you to go direct SLI, but it serves as a clearance to go direct KSNA if you don't get any other instructions/vectors upon reaching SLI.

At least that's how I understood this topic in the past. See also this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2938
simonj2

Post by simonj2 »

Matthias Geiss wrote:Are you sure the clearance was "direct SLI" or rather SLI8 departure, SLI, direct (or similar).
I was able to find the voice recording of the clearance, and you're exactly right (http://assets.pilotedge.net/recordings/ ... _18011.mp3 - 13 mins in, if anyone's curious)! I had read it back wrong, my bad. The other topic helped clarify that I'd written and read back 'Direct SLI', but had been given, 'SLI, Direct'. Ooops. Thanks for your help!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

"direct SLI" at the same time as being issued the SLI8 departure wouldn't make sense, as the SLI8 ends with a vectored segment. It would be impossible for those two instructions to co-exist. If you find yourself in this boat in the future (even if it's because you misunderstood the instructions), then you should seek clarification from ATC rather than simply modifying the SID in some way to make it fit what you think the controller wants you to do.

If it helps, you'll either be assigned a SID, or you won't. You will not typically be issued a SID and then have a part of the SID changed up as part of the initial IFR clearance.
simonj2

Post by simonj2 »

Keith Smith wrote:If you find yourself in this boat in the future (even if it's because you misunderstood the instructions), then you should seek clarification from ATC rather than simply modifying the SID in some way to make it fit what you think the controller wants you to do.
Yup, exactly, good reminder. I think I'm good enough about querying, but due to my inexperience with SIDs thought I'd understood completely what was being asked. Learning experience, that's why we do this! :) Thanks!