CAT-2 Question(s)

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Casimir

CAT-2 Question(s)

Post by Casimir »

I completed my CAT-1 yesterday, and was looking to try to complete my CAT-2 today. However, I've run into something I'm not sure about, and wanted to get some feedback.

First, assuming that the CAT program is, essentially, a VFR training program, what do we do for CAT testing if the weather is definitely not VFR? Thus far, all of last night and so far today as well the cloud cover is pretty thick between New Cuyama and San Luis, and due to the mountainous terrain between the airports it would be impossible to fly that route direct and maintain VFR. Having said that, can I still fly the CAT-2 even though at least part of the route is in IMC conditions? Or is part of the CAT training also about waiting to fly when appropriate VFR conditions are available (which is perfectly fine with me - just looking for clarification as far as the rules are concerned)?

Second, CAT-2 is the only CAT aside from CAT-1 where part of the route is flown with no contact with ATC. The information on how to fly the CAT program flights state / suggest that I need to contact the San Luis Tower and inform them of my intention to fly the CAT-2 - do I do that when I'm still at New Cuyama, or do I wait until I make initial contact with San Luis (and I ask this primarily due to the need to keep radio messages short and to the point)? Is the radio example on the CAT-2 page the method I should use (i.e., informing San Luis of my intention to complete CAT-2 on initial contact only)?

Thanks!
Cessna N5351E (A2A C172 / REP XPlane 11 C172)
Piper N5351A (Carenado Seneca V)
Kevin_atc

Re: CAT-2 Question(s)

Post by Kevin_atc »

As with any flight on PilotEdge, you are welcome to use whatever weather in your sim that you wish. ATC will always read you the current real world reported weather conditions, but you may use your own weather and disregard the weather ATC gives you. It may be helpful, if the real world weather is poor, to mention to ATC that you are using your own custom weather conditions.

Just tell SBP tower on initial contact that you are in the middle of the CAT-2.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Casimir

Re: CAT-2 Question(s)

Post by Casimir »

Okay, thank you.

Weather-wise, I'm kind of a stickler for real-world conditions, so I'll just fly around out in the desert until it clears up on the coast.
Cessna N5351E (A2A C172 / REP XPlane 11 C172)
Piper N5351A (Carenado Seneca V)