CAT 10 KLAX Class D

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Peristarkawan

CAT 10 KLAX Class D

Post by Peristarkawan »

So I was reading some other thread on the CAT 10 and looking at the Miniroute part of the TAC and noticed something I hadn't noticed before: the class E west of KHHR and under the Bravo shelf? That's not class E. It's class D airspace up to 2500' that's designated for KLAX itself. There's another area of this class D airspace up in between KLAX and KSMO as well.

My question is: how is this handled for the Miniroute? Does the pilot need to have already contacted KLAX Tower before transitioning the KLAX class D? Or is it sufficient to be talking to KHHR since they coordinate the northbound Miniroute?

I've already done the CAT 10 and didn't fail as a result of this, but I'm not sure whether that's because it's not really a concern, or because I luckily didn't violate the class D, or because the controller just didn't notice.
Scott Medeiros

Re: CAT 10 KLAX Class D

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Good eye spotting those 2 class D wedges! HHR and SMO local controllers coordinate mini-route transitions with LAX tower. So, you only need to contact HHR or SMO tower, depending on your direction of flight. The LAX class D wedges protect the mini-route airspace from uncontrolled and HHR/SMO local traffic.