CAT-11 cruise altitude

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Casimir

CAT-11 cruise altitude

Post by Casimir »

This is probably obvious, but just to be sure I'm requesting a clarification - when we fly the CAT-11, is our cruise altitude after leaving Bravo airspace our own choice (within VFR altitude requirements and staying clear of LAX Bravo of course), or are we required to fly at 7500?

I had originally planned to fly it at 5500, but decided instead based upon the example narrative to fly it at 7500 on my first attempt. I ended up failing because I was so focused on the 100/80 Bravo airspace over San Pedro that I completely forgot about the 100/70 Bravo section over Huntington Pier while climbing to 7500. Had I flown my originally planned altitude I'd have missed that (which is one reason I wasn't paying enough attention to it - 100% my own fault).
Cessna N5351E (A2A C172 / REP XPlane 11 C172)
Piper N5351A (Carenado Seneca V)
Scott Medeiros

Re: CAT-11 cruise altitude

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Outside of VFR routes and ATC assigned altitudes, VFR altitude is at your discretion. I don't believe any of the CAT ratings require you to fly a specific altitude, besides the charted VFR route altitudes. Once clear of the Bravo, you are to remain clear unless given another Bravo clearance. As you experienced, a direct routing at 7500' will take you into that Huntington Beach shelf. Another option could be navigating to remain in the bravo and exit near SNA.

I suspect the 7500' cruise altitude was not selected arbitrarily ;) :twisted: .
Casimir

Re: CAT-11 cruise altitude

Post by Casimir »

Okay, thanks Scott. That's what I suspected but I wanted to make sure.
Scott Medeiros wrote:I suspect the 7500' cruise altitude was not selected arbitrarily ;) :twisted: .
And yes... I have the sneaking suspicion that you are 100% correct there. It got me, for sure. ;)
Cessna N5351E (A2A C172 / REP XPlane 11 C172)
Piper N5351A (Carenado Seneca V)