Question regarding flight plans and CAT flights

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
louloizides

Question regarding flight plans and CAT flights

Post by louloizides »

I've been flying the CAT flights without credit, so I tried to change that.

I filed a flight plan for CAT-1... immediately I realized the cruising altitude was completely wrong, but didn't know how to cancel or change it... I flew the route anyway but at a different altitude as I wasn't sure what to expect. I then landed, waited a couple minutes, and exited. When I went to PEAware I didn't see any record of the flight.

I'm guessing I did a few things wrong here, and I definitely should've checked PEAware before exiting.

I have a few other questions...

1) If I file a flight plan, is there a way to correct or rescind it?
2) Once I file a flight plan, should the plan show up anywhere on PEAware? I couldn't find it when I first filed it so I'm wondering if it was filed correctly.
3) I'm flying in VR so I've just been tapping the radio 5 times to connect. As a result I haven't been checking my callsign every time. Is there any reason it would change?
4) If I feel comfortable with CAT-1 should I just jump to CAT-2 or is it recommended to go through the whole program?
Student Pilot
C150D N530RC
Scott Medeiros

Re: Question regarding flight plans and CAT flights

Post by Scott Medeiros »

From the bottom of the CAT-1 rating page https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/cat-01-rating...
To get credit for the CAT-1 rating please do the following:

1. Prior to departing from L52, file a VFR flight plan (or you can file from within the software that you’re using to connect to PilotEdge).Ensure your callsign matches the one you will fly with and that you include the departure airport (L52), the arrival airport (L88), and your aircraft type. All of the other information is optional.

2. After landing at L88 wait at least 2 minutes before disconnecting. This will ensure that your flight was properly tracked.

3. Go to peaware.pilotedge.net search for your callsign and verify that the flight status for the flight from L52 to L88 shows as arrived.

4. Enter your tail number into the the CAT-1 claim form to obtain instant credit for the flight.
1) If you need to change something on your flightplan you could refile the flightplan, or ask clearance delivery to amend it.
2) VFR flight plans do not show up in the system, just like in real life. They are for search and rescue purposes only. Your VFR flight HISTORY will show up on PEAware after you land.
3) There should be no reason for your registration number to change unless you change it.
4) You need to get credit for the previous rating before you can complete the next rating. See above for getting credit for your CAT-1.
Last edited by Scott Medeiros on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
louloizides

Post by louloizides »

Ok thanks... just want to make sure that before I spent the ~45 minutes doing the CAT-1 PEAware is tracking me correctly. Once I log into Pilot Edge, should I see my call sign on there regardless of the flight plan?
Student Pilot
C150D N530RC
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Yes, a roster of pilots connected to the network is on the PilotEdge homepage. You should see your tail number on that list once you connect.
louloizides

Post by louloizides »

Cool, thanks!
Student Pilot
C150D N530RC
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

I just check PEAware, and your flight record is shown on there. http://peaware.pilotedge.net/flight.cfm?id=295261
louloizides

Post by louloizides »

Oh, cool... you just saved me another 45 minutes! :)
Student Pilot
C150D N530RC