I-2 - What should I have done?

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
vartoms

I-2 - What should I have done?

Post by vartoms »

Hi guys,

I'm still getting the hang of all this and recently finished I-1. Yesterday I did a practice flight for I-2 using the format on the I-2 rating page ( https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/i2-rating ). I watched the videos, filed the flight plan etc. like the example. Being very new to all this I'm just sort of getting familiar with the environment, so I've been mostly just following along the "script" so to speak. So when the controller threw me a bit of curveball I didn't really know what to do. Entirely my mistake, but I'd like to learn from it and know what to do next time.

So here's the scenario:
I'm doing the I-2 route from KSNA to KCRQ.
IFR Flight Plan filed as KSNA - KCRQ, Route V23 OCN
I'm on V23 routing towards OCN at 5000.
I get handed over to Socal Approach on 119.60.
I contact Socal Approach with the latest information from KCRQ ATIS.
They said something about a visual approach for Runway 24.
I asked if I could instead request the ILS Approach for Runway 24.
Controller says no problem. Little later while I'm still a good few miles out from OCN he said that I'm cleared for the ILS Runway 24 Approach.
This threw me a bit as I was expecting vectors (again, my fault, complaceny and all that, but I need to learn all this stuff!)
I asked him if I can expect vectors, controller said "No, you are cleared for the ILS 24 Approach" (paraphrasing here).

So I'm still inbound to OCN now on V23. I'm ashamed to admit that I was so unsure that I cancelled the flight to try and do some more research.

What should I have done here? What is expected of me?

Should I have flown to OCN, then to the IAF at HOMLY and basically just flown the plate?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
sono

Re: I-2 - What should I have done?

Post by sono »

Did you consider OCN HOMLY ESCON... alts and headings as per the Carlsbad IAP ILS 24 plate ?

PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
EASA and FAA (61.75) Private ASEL AMEL Instrument
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

"Request vectors ILS RWY 24 approach" should've been your approach request when you first checked in on 119.60 if you wanted an approach other than the one that was in use.

Normally, vectors are a more efficient ground track than full approaches, however the CRQ ILS RWY 24 approaching from OCN is actually a very efficient approach as it's published, hence the controllers issue it with some regularity.

Check out the I-6 rating if you're unfamiliar with full approaches, and/or, check out the free workshops on IFR procedures, including how to fly full approaches vs vectors to final.

In this case, you would've continued to OCN, then executed the approach as published from there. You did the right thing in canceling IFR if you weren't familiar with the procedures.

I'd suggest becoming a little more well versed on the fundamentals of IFR and instrument approaches before continuing. Using the sample transcript as a script is not going to get you very far and will result in you learning very little from the process, other than being able to follow a script. The free workshops can get you there, they cover all of this material in detail.
vartoms

Post by vartoms »

Appreciate the replies, thanks guys.
sono

Post by sono »

I remember a tip that Keith mentioned elsewhere when doing the ratings, which the controllers might be considered to have two hats, but only wear one at any point in time, depending on the progress in the flight: the regular atc hat and the examiner hat. When you are flying you shouldnt assume that ATC know what is required for the rating, just assume they have their ATC hat on and dont know anything about what the ratings themselves require. Good luck!
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
EASA and FAA (61.75) Private ASEL AMEL Instrument