CAT-6 route questions

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
dbatis

CAT-6 route questions

Post by dbatis »

Hi guys,

Got a couple of questions concerning the CAT-6 rating:

1. In order to pass the rating, is it necessary to fly direct to KMHV, or can I fly a route such as KBFL LHS KMHV? Since I prefer to fly /A, using that VOR makes more sense than a direct route, gives me more distance from the ground at 7500 ft and gives me more room for a smoother descent. If allowed for the rating, I assume it would be best to say "request flight following to KMHV via LHS", so that the controller has a better idea of my intentions?

2. That route takes me through a Special Military Activity area. Do these areas follow the same logic as MOAs (i.e. VFR traffic is allowed, use extreme caution and highly advised to get traffic advisories)?

Thanks in advance!
Keith Smith

Re: CAT-6 route questions

Post by Keith Smith »

You can fly any route you like, and you're welcome to transition the MOA.
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Your flight is VFR, and not subject to any specific routing, except when instructed by ATC. But, I feel that by utilizing and flying to LHS you are not following the second bullet point, which is reviewing/practicing basic VFR navigation skills. There is no need to fly all the way to LHS, or even use a VOR, or GPS for that matter, to get from BFL-MHV. Always read the reference links provided at the bottom of the CAT6 description, specifically the Pilots Handbook. To me, one of the most enjoyable aspects of VFR flight is looking outside the airplane and using pilotage to get from A-B.

As for your 2nd question, that grey hashed area is a Special Military Activity Route (SMRA). You’ll notice that directly centered inside the SMRA is the military training route (IR200/425). You can think of this as a “MOA corridor”, with very fast moving military aircraft flying along that route. Treat it the same as an MOA, and be very vigilant should you need to pass through it (preferably perpendicular to the MTR to limit protential traffic conflicts).
Last edited by Scott Medeiros on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbatis

Post by dbatis »

Alright, thank you both! I will try the direct route :)