CAT-08 Question

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
jeremyw

CAT-08 Question

Post by jeremyw »

When viewing the CAT-08 rating it talks about contacting Point Magu on 124.7. How can I look at the VFR sectional and know that I will need to contact Point Magu? The only things I see are SOCAL approach frequencies.

Also, why does this flight only contact SOCAL APP on 134.2 instead of 120.4?
zerofay32

Re: CAT-08 Question

Post by zerofay32 »

The Cat-8 is SBA to BUR and is Class C to Class C. The example transcript is Santa Barbra approach handing you off to point magu. You're not going to know that ahead of time and that frequency may be different if the sectorization changed. I wouldn't stress out about it if you are getting flight following the whole way to Burbank.

Outside of the magenta "contact approach" boxes, there is no way of finding smaller TRACON frequencies or center frequencies from the Sectional chart. You have to find them either on the IFR enroute charts (for center frequencies) or in the Chart supplemental (formerly the AF/D). You can also look at the approach plates for your departure airport and see what/who is covering the approach duties. If departing from a towered airport, you can also just ask the tower what would be the best frequency to call for flight following. For the Cat-8, you are going to be handed off to Santa Barbra almost in every situation. If you asked for flight following, they will hand you off and give you the frequency.

As far as transcript using one frequency over the other, again with flight following the whole way, don't worry about trying to have all the frequencies beforehand because they change. PE has slightly larger sectors for SoCal then the real deal, so the frequency coverage is a little different. Also, in the RW Socal, the sectors will change as staffing changes throughout the day. Again, the pilot is not expected to have all the frequencies preloaded before the flight and that information isn't even available.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
Keith Smith

Re: CAT-08 Question

Post by Keith Smith »

Moved to the Pilot Training Program forum