fixin' stuff at home

Keith Smith

fixin' stuff at home

Post by Keith Smith »

Got the second screen back up and running (had a failed mini displayport to VGA adapter). Also got a GoPro with cockpit audio kit on order. Plane is out of maintenance and my favorite flying season is here. I have some great trips planned! Can't wait to see what the footage looks like with the camera on a nice, sunny day.
Marcus Becker

Re: fixin' stuff at home

Post by Marcus Becker »

Sweet! Can't wait to see some new videos.
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Ditto, looking forward to seeing what you put together!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The second test video is being rendered now. This one is an IFR flight (with a VFR climb to first fix to avoid inefficient routing) from N07 to KASH. It was my first attempt at mounting the camera directly to the headset to achieve two distinct goals:
1) reduce vibration to the camera
2) allow for change of view during flight

The head tracking doesn't really cover what I'm looking at with peripheral vision, but it does at least show the actual head movements that took place. I'm really happy with the outcome, both in terms of video quality and the new resulting first person perspective.

The video I'll be posting is largely unedited, partially due to time constraints on my end, but also because I did want to have an example of an end to end flight. There is one significant edit of 2mins 20secs where I said nothing and flew straight and level...not very interesting, so I chose to remove it.

Also relatively rare, the video includes startup and shutdown to get gas, then IFR pickup via phone, taxi to runway, etc....all the way to shutdown at the destination. I'm very interested in the feedback on this one once it posts. In the past I've edited the flights fairly heavily for time, I'm curious if people prefer the uncut version so they have sense for the time scale during which everything happened. It's a 1hr 15min video.

Will post it in the late morning and add the link here. It's rendering now and will take a few hours to upload (1920x1080p 30fps).
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Ding dong :D
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

No idea what that means, Cyrus, but it's been uploading for the past couple of hours, it's an 8GB file.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

I just wanted to get a notification when you updated this thread when the video is ready... so I posted anything. (Didn't mean to sound like I was being impatient. lol)

I'm assuming that you're uploading it to here: https://www.youtube.com/user/coma13794/videos

Dong ding.
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

http://youtu.be/kzs_loz0i30 in about 4 minutes from now. It's uploaded, it's just processing.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

it's stuck on 95%. Right now only the low res version (240p) seems to be there. Hopefully it won't be long. I would not recommend the low res version, it defeats the purpose :)
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

We'll be patient... :)

In the meantime, would you mind posting the route that you took? So far, I've just got this....

http://skyvector.com/?ll=41.95186465974 ... :A.K6.KASH

...or please provide a link to a real world PEaware equivalent :lol:

It will be great to follow along with a map... once the HD vid is ready.