Dem Convention TFR, PilotEdge, And Me

BFG

Dem Convention TFR, PilotEdge, And Me

Post by BFG »

I took my 10th real-world flight lesson today and my home strip (which is non-towered) sits under the TFR that's in effect for the convention in Philadelphia. Flight instruction under the TFR outside of the inner core is allowed, but you need to file a strip and have a code, and in essence fly with following the entire time. In addition to my 18 minutes flying under the hood, steep turns, slow flight and stall work, I also handled Philly approach on the flight back to the barn. Did great, and had not an ounce of mic fright. Thanks for that, guys.
kullery

Re: Dem Convention TFR, PilotEdge, And Me

Post by kullery »

Very surprised that was allowed. The 30nm ring is defined as:

Altitude: From the surface up to and including 17999 feet MSL

and it reads:
G. THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED WITHIN THIS TFR: FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER OPERATIONS, SEAPLANE OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRALIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS, SIGHTSEEING OPERATIONS, MAINTENANCE TEST FLIGHTS, MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS, MODEL ROCKETRY, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS), AND UTILITY AND PIPELINE SURVEY OPERATIONS

Our airport (1G5) sits under the CLE class bravo shelf and my understanding was that they suspended all flight instruction during the Republican convention where we had a similarly worded TFR.

We watched from our front yard as a Cessna flying downwind for landing at 1G5 was intercepted by a fighter. After the initial intercept, he did 3 orbits of the Cessna (with a few touches of afterburner) to insure the Cessna was landing. Pilot had failed to obtain a squawk code prior to entering the 30nm ring. It was a good show for us but I am sure the pilot had to replace his under ware.

Good luck with your training!!
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
BFG

Post by BFG »

I was, too, but they updated the TFR so VFR instruction was allowed if you filed a flight plan and had following. I'm glad, because it was a lot of fun. And as much as I love the F-16, those aren't the conditions in which I want to see one.
BFG

Post by BFG »

To be more precise, our training area is outside the TFR, so with a fight plan and ATC clearance we were able to function as an arriving / departing aircraft. While maneuvering we worked hard to stay clear of the TFR 30-mile ring, and even went so far as to tell Phily Approach when we were ready to maneuver that we planned to do so. They said no problem but asked that we keep it in a pretty tight box (four miles, give or take), I presume so we'd be easier to keep an eye on.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You're getting some great experience and it sounds like it went very well. Keep it up!