Summer Colorado Days

Kilstorm

Summer Colorado Days

Post by Kilstorm »

After spending many hours during the winter flying the Twin Otter Extended between the high altitude airports of Denver, Vail, Aspen and Telluride, I am certainly noticing a performance difference in the hot summer days. I was at 10,000 feet and still in 80 degree OAT and on a slow 200fpm climb out with so many box canyons to avoid. I was keeping the engines in the yellow on temp yesterday when I got an engine fire 20 miles out of Eagle KEGE and performed a single engine landing. Flying near MTOW and hoping between these high altitude airports has me spiraling up to get over the ranges. Anyone else noticing a difference in performance with all these high temps in the SW?
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
rtataryn

Re: Summer Colorado Days

Post by rtataryn »

Oh for sure. And with the high elevation airports like Leadville (KLXV) and Telluride (KTEX) having density altitudes over 12,000 or 13,000 ft, a lot of aircraft aren't even getting off the ground in these temperatures.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Kilstorm

Re: Summer Colorado Days

Post by Kilstorm »

Talking about Density Altitudes, Turbulent Designs announced with their next update to Big Bear and the use of SODE, they will have the Density Altitude sign working correctly which is kinda cool to have as a feature.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA