thoughts on radio reception

Alex Stjepanovic

Re: thoughts on radio reception

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

Daddy O wrote:Filing a text based flight plan would be no different than filing online:
https://www.duat.com/
DUAT even allows users to check weather and file flight plans from their I-phone & Droid.

So they file using a web entry file, and when control is not terribly busy they contact the pilot by voice. If you were at a remote airport, you'd probably file on the net anyhow (provided they have the net or you have phone reception.)
Ah...I was under the impression that you were suggesting something about text comms :)
Daddy O

Re: thoughts on radio reception

Post by Daddy O »

Nah, that'd be too Vatsim'ish :)

With the web entry, flight plans can be set to queue up for the controllers to handle when they catch a break between the microbursts of activity. The FAA has used pretty much the same standard form for many years, just replicate that (since this service is going to appeal largely to students and flight training centers.)

Though, unlike the form that Vatsim uses, I would add some hold over boxes that give an explanation of the requested fields. Vatsim always made the assumption that if you were filing IFR that you were fully trained IFR. Since this is to appeal to students, the explanations will help them to file a better flight plan.