Cloud tops on Foreflight

Redrv8tor

Re: Cloud tops on Foreflight

Post by Redrv8tor »

New to PilotEdge. Using ForeFlight in RV8 with heated pitot, only. Fly out of NW Washington State.
Since 2013, any new (better) methods to determine cloud tops or is "RUC" still the answer?
Thanks, Redrv8tor
Redrv8tor

Post by Redrv8tor »

Read through the NOAA Ruc Rap site and see that RUC is no longer used. Went through a couple of technical articles but didn't find a cloud top correlary in RAP such as that discussed above for RUC. Any suggestions?
Redrv8tor
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

If you're using an iPad, try using an app called SkewTLogPro. I've been using this for about 3 years to plan all of my flights. It's a fantastic tool for grabbing quick skew t graphs along your route of flight.

I also use a website called OGIMET for my preflight planning that offers a "gramet" or meteorological graph. They look like this:
gramet_EGLL_LSZB.png
gramet_EGLL_LSZB.png (116.93 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
This a very nice tool for determining cloud tops and layers, as well as a lot of other information along your route of flight including precipitation, icing levels, turbulence, etc. Far too much information to discuss here. You'll just need to spend some time on the site to understand and interpret it, but you'll find it to be an amazing tool for cross country flight planning.

http://www.ogimet.com/gramet_aero.phtml.en
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Redrv8tor

Post by Redrv8tor »

Many thanks, Rod. I'll check it out today.
Redrv8tor, Lee
PP, INSTRUMENT RATED, ASEL, AMEL, AMES
VANS RV8, AirCam Amphib