X-Plane Payware

Colin Levy

X-Plane Payware

Post by Colin Levy »

I am really into X-Plane now, and think I am going to use it to continue my private training and onto my instrument. I am looking for a the best possible aircraft to use to fly. I saw this website that looks like it has some very nice payware, though it is very pricey. It features a full G1000 (which is equipped in my RW C172). Anyone ever heard about these?

http://www.flythissim.com/FTS1000.aspx
Keith Smith

Re: X-Plane Payware

Post by Keith Smith »

FTS was demo'd at the AOPA Summit with PE last Nov in PFC's sims.

They make good stuff.

One piece of advice, though, you do not have to simulate the aircraft you fly in the real world to get value from the sim.

Avionics might be an exception, though, when it comes to a platform like the g1000. If you can find a good implementation of that, and you feel that's a big part of your online training experience, then spend the money for sure.

I just wouldn't sweat the airframe too much.
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

I bought the FTS G1000 pack and really like it. I'm still working on getting it integrated into my environment, but it's really nice.
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Colin, to add some clarity to my message above, I benefited the most from working on situational awareness and learning to think ahead, rather than specific avionics issues, but each individual is different, and what they get out of online flying can be different.

In my case, even though my r/w plane has a Garmin 420, which I use for IFR on a regular basis, I do not feel like I suffer from not having that in the sim when it comes to online flying, if that makes sense. When it came to learning the 420, I used Garmin's standalone training software. What's more important to me is working on the flows, briefing approaches, dealing with workload, etc.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from building the panel of your dreams, I just think it's something to consider. Once again, the G-1000 is a very different animal...it may well be worth getting a system of that nature up and running in the sim so that you can become truly familiar with it while flying online.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

If you want to get the most out of your G1000 avionics, you may consider a touchscreen monitor, or the G1000 simulator from SimKits.com (only about $3k.)

You may also consider going with a multi PC platform. Wen you fly on a single monitor you are actually robbing yourself of some valuable experience. When you have the outside and inside view rendered on the same focal plane it is very easy to take it all in at the same time. But with a dedicated instrument panel your eyes have to do some real world transitioning from external view to the internal <instrument panel> view. It takes some getting used to, and it does add a level of difficulty to the equation.

I'd suggest a dedicated instrument panel run on a touchscreen, that way you would have full functionality for your G1000. The trick though, would be going into plane maker and editing the G1000 to so it fills the entire screen as it should. I have not edited the custom G1000 cockpit you are using, but I have edited a lot of Avidyne and custom glass panel screens. Also, the touchscreen would work with regular panels as well. If you get into the 2nd computer thing, contact me and I can send you a few planes with dedicated instrument panels (I have about 60 to choose from.)