scaling back the beta

Keith Smith

scaling back the beta

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm considering scaling back the beta from 3 days a week to 1 night a week until we are ready to launch the FS client (please don't ask when it will be ready).

For pilots who have flown on the network before, would you be more likely to fly on a the beta night if it was reduced to 1 night a week? If so, which night would be best...Fri, Sat, or Sun?
Tim Krajcar

Re: scaling back the beta

Post by Tim Krajcar »

For me, the 3 nights allows a better chance of fitting one night a week into my schedule. If it was on only one night, I couldn't fly in nearly as many weeks.

That said, I certainly understand if it's burdensome and not contributing 'beta value' to run 3x a week, and will pretty much fly whenever PE is staffed and my schedule allows. :-)
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Tim Krajcar wrote:For me, the 3 nights allows a better chance of fitting one night a week into my schedule. If it was on only one night, I couldn't fly in nearly as many weeks.
+1
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
c.b.powell

Post by c.b.powell »

Tim Krajcar wrote:For me, the 3 nights allows a better chance of fitting one night a week into my schedule. If it was on only one night, I couldn't fly in nearly as many weeks.

That said, I certainly understand if it's burdensome and not contributing 'beta value' to run 3x a week, and will pretty much fly whenever PE is staffed and my schedule allows. :-)
I'm in complete agreement with Tim on both points, and will accept the final verdict without griping. If it comes down to fewer nights, then for what it's worth I'm most likely to have no conflicts on the mid-week. Fridays and Sundays are variable because real life has a pesky way of interfering with those evenings.

For me it's also a time-zone thing, since simming around 9 or 10 p.m. Pacific Time is always more convenient than 6 or 7. But the east coast controllers are (quite understandably) in bed by my optimal time. Perhaps one day PE will expand to have west coast controllers later and offer more late-night coverage...?

I was dying to fly tonight, but sadly another obligation interfered. :( I'm on for this Friday, though, and hope you won't be scaling back quite yet.

Chris
lwilliams

Post by lwilliams »

I agree with all, three nights is more convenient to pilots, but its a lot to ask of the controllers and administrators.

As an example, in my case, life has gotten in the way lately and haven't flown at all in a week. I will continue to support PE regardless of the direction of the beta program.

Lee
Lee Williams
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Saturday would be best for me. Wednesday is Survivor night, Friday is Supernatural, and Sunday is desperate Housewives.

Sorry to hear it is being scaled back. I look forward to Beta night. The whole time I was flying the 737 simulator I was thinking "Too bad this thing isn't on PilotEdge."
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Daddy O wrote:Saturday would be best for me. Wednesday is Survivor night, Friday is Supernatural, and Sunday is desperate Housewives.
Someone buy this man a DVR. I haven't been a slave to TV schedules for nearly 10 years. :)

Please understand, the venture is moving forward. I just need some time to finish up some critical items before that can happen. I can finish those items considerably faster if I'm not on the scope 12hrs a week.

That, and the current number of pilots (as much as I enjoy getting to know the pilots we do have) just isn't enough to make it worthwhile for the controllers. I can't get more controllers until I have more pilots, and I can't have more pilots until...well, that would be a much longer post than I can make right now, but the FS client is a big part of it.

If we do scale back, my hope is that we will be able to scale it right back up in a relatively short time frame. This is a temporary measure to preserve the controllers' sanity and interest.

I'll give it some thought this w/end.

Keith
lwilliams

Post by lwilliams »

In my opinion, Keith....whichever gets you to your end goal the best way is what's most important. You have my support.
Lee Williams
KDouglasCraig

Post by KDouglasCraig »

With my constantly changing schedule (Rotating military duty days, School, house hunting, etc) 3 days a week made it more likely I will be able to fly on pilotedge, but as others have posted I certainly understand scaling back to one day/night a week makes sense. With that said, I would be more likely able to be on-line Wednesday or Saturday nights.