Free, fully-functional KLN 90B GPS released

c.b.powell

Free, fully-functional KLN 90B GPS released

Post by c.b.powell »

I learned about this today on the the XPlane10's blog (http://xplane10.wordpress.com/), and I'm really quite excited. Unlike the anemic, hobbled Garmin 430 that comes with X-Plane, this plugin behaves like a real GPS. Best of all: it has actual SID/STAR/Approach data in its db; this means that I can start filing /G instead of /A and actually utilize RNAV approaches in the sim for the first time. I'm really looking forward to being able to maintain my RNAV proficiencies in PE.

I've flown around with it a little now and it really does deliver on the desired functionality. Anyway, here's the link: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?aut ... file=13420

Just thought I'd mention this here in case anyone else cared to try it. Sure, it may simulate an early 1990s, monochrome, low-res GPS...but as far as I'm concerned it's just delightful to have this option available to me now.

Chris

(Obligatory disclaimer: I have no association with the software author. Just very pleased with the product.)
Keith Smith

Re: Free, fully-functional KLN 90B GPS released

Post by Keith Smith »

That's a really good find, Chris. I did my instrument checkride with a KLN. It would be interesting to have that in X-Plane.
c.b.powell

Post by c.b.powell »

I really like it. I filed and flew /G on Sunday, including the RNAV approach into KOAK. The button-pushing & knob-twiddling all translate to the real world if your FBO's rental fleet uses the similar KLN-89s or KLN-94s. Nice to keep those skills sharp.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I have a Garmin 420 in the airplane, so it's going to be interesting to swap between that and this.
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

Thanks for posting this.
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Coolness. I'll test it and see how it runs on a slave PC. I am assembling a 4th computer with a touchscreen where I can run nav equipment like this.