considering a 'frequent flier' program

Keith Smith

considering a 'frequent flier' program

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi guys,

I'd like some feedback on the following idea.

The network provides the best experience for a given pilot when the radio is relatively busy with other live traffic. The drone traffic does a great job of providing something to see during the flight, and the occasional traffic call from ATC, but they don't actually talk on the radio. I'm fairly sure that pilots enjoy the system quite a bit more when they know that other pilots are around.

I also understand that while real world pilots are generally quite happy to part with a modest monthly fee for a service like this (it can truly save them money on real world flight training, and helps them to stay sharp), the same is NOT true for most sim enthusiasts. It could never be argued that PilotEdge SAVES money for a sim enthusiast. Hence, as good as the service might be, they are likely to be a highly INTERESTED, but PRICE RESISTANT audience. That is, they might love what we offer, but not be willing to pay for it.

To that end, I'm considering the concept of a 'frequent flier' program, mainly aimed at the sim enthusiasts. Their subscription will be waived for a given month if they are able to participate at a certain level during that month. It will likely be an hourly minimum, with certain parameters around the flight (must be conducted out of a towered airport, and must maintain communication with ATC throughout the flight).

This would be a win-win for PE as it would provide a base level of real-time traffic that also has a radio presence, as well as the simple fact that pilots generally like to know that they are not alone in the system. If we can have a certain number of these people flying on a relatively continuous basis, it will help the 'snowball' effect that we need for this venture to be successful on the retail side in the long term. Traffic brings more traffic....but where do you get those first few planes to start the ball rolling?

This program might be the answer. Thoughts?
lwilliams

Re: considering a 'frequent flier' program

Post by lwilliams »

I htink this is an interesting concept. For me, this service has value and I find it easy to justify paying for it. The "promotional idea" you explain will not affect the amount of time or when I log on. Life affects when and where and how I log on more than the cost that soon be associated with PilotEdge.

I like how you think outside the box though. Good luck.

My two cents.

Lee
Lee Williams
Eugene Zaporozhets

Post by Eugene Zaporozhets »

As someone with ample experience {pun} in World of Warcraft :D, I'm fairly certain this principle has potential.
TheMadDocMD

Post by TheMadDocMD »

I believe this has potential; my only worry is that people would be using this method and get into the network as a pilot with little/no experience which could affect the pilot knowledge level which we want to strive for on the network.

That's my only worry
MD
Real World Controller
FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) Graduate - Sacramento, CA
FAA Certificated Aircraft Dispatcher
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

I like the idea. I also agree with Mark. I would set the bar fairly high. Requiring a good chunk of time flown each month and some pilot certs under the belt as a prerequisite.
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Setting the bar is important...but if we have little to no planes, then it's a moot point. The value of having a baseline of live traffic cannot be overstated.

We'll either use explicit testing mechanisms for eligibility (ie, Pilot Training Center), or we'll simply remove people from the program who don't fit the bill. Either way, this will be very well documented in the program details.
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

I agree with Keith.

There are some pros and cons, but considering many other factors not public or immediately obvious, I'm confident that in can work.
muzz

Post by muzz »

Getting the FSX option to working would probably generate MUCH traffic.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Yes, Muzz...well aware of that, believe me :) It's nearly done. The questions associated with this program still stand, though.
Phil_ANW

Post by Phil_ANW »

I'd like to add my two cents like Lee lol...

I am a sim pilot with a lot of sim flying experience, but very little network communication with ATC. Communication with ATC is the next level for me. I know it will take a lot of trial and error and I'm willing to complete any Pilot Certification given. I've completed the ZLA cert through the V3 rating, but honestly I feel like that wasn't enough to answer all the questions I have about VFR flying.

I'm starting to mumble here so let me get back to the original question. I think the frequent flier program is a good idea. But as Mark and Brian mentioned you will most likely invite pilots that have little to no ATC communication experience like myself to the mix, so be prepared for the "trial and error" that I mentioned above. The great thing about the frequent flier program idea however is no matter what level the pilot's experinece if they are willing to pay money for this experience then I assume they will want to work hard at developing thoes skills they lack.

Another note, I decided to try VATSIM over the weekend and since I started my ATC network experience with Pilotedge first I can tell you VATSIM comes up woefully short of the experince here on Pilotedge and I am willing to pay for that experience whether it be a full price or the frequent flier price.

Thanks,
Phil