considering a 'frequent flier' program

Keith Smith

Re: considering a 'frequent flier' program

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks, Phil. No question, the FF program must NOT compromise the overall quality of the network. The primary vision of the network is for this to be a meaningful training environment for real world pilots, all the way up to part 121/135 pilots undergoing their evaluations in multi-million dollar flight simulators. There is room to have fun on the network, without question, but by and large, it's a place for serious learning and training to take place. Edit: there is also room for sim enthusiasts who are not r/w pilots, so long as they don't attract significant negative attention from other paying subscribers, or from ATC. I neglected to finish that train of though in the original post.

The FF program cannot become a magnet for pilots who shouldn't really have been here in the first place. The goal of the program is for people would've been quite suited to the network, but were unwilling or unable to absorb the subscription fee.

We will have to make some tough calls, but the time will come when we put up the PE equivalent of a sign which reads, "you must be at least THIS high to go on this ride." This has always been the plan, mind you, it's just that the sign might disappoint a few more ppl once the FF program is in place.

Lastly, Phil, I agree, the Training program is a little light on the VFR content. I will try to bolster it with additional reference material and suggested flights, short of introducing new VFR ratings.

I have to put plenty more thought into the details of the FF program in terms of eligibility requirements. It may well become a requirement to screen people up-front, perhaps via the existing ratings program, and then bolstering the Practical Test Standards document to put some additional weight behind them.
Kyle Rosenquist

Post by Kyle Rosenquist »

As another sim-only pilot, I think this is a great idea (of course I'm rather biased here!). Even so, I think that the willingness to get out your credit card and run the risk of being charged if you don't meet the monthly minimums or pilot rating level is still enough to detract the casual sim pilot, who would be better off flying on another (free) network.

With well-documented requirements for the program in place, and the MSFS version up and running (X-Plane and I just don't get along!), I bet it would generate a higher traffic volume and create a better experience for the commercial users.
Phil_ANW

Post by Phil_ANW »

Agreed, well documented requirements would be helpful and maybe an organized plan of entry for those that don't meet said requirements.
Bob Slocum

Post by Bob Slocum »

I was actually kind of hoping for something like this. Being someone who spends a lot of time in the air and on a semi fixed income, (I had a part time PC repair biz but it tanked with the economy) I could really take advantage of this. Especially if you let me fly me VA stuff in and out of Coverage. the Sadde6 arrival into LAX is still one of my favorites from Seattle. I guess maybe that's a bit more than 2 cents worth, Bob
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

For the first couple of years, until you bring in staggering amounts of commercial grade simulators, you may actually want lots of sim pilots to fill the airwaves. The big commercial simulators already have a guy in the back pretending to be ATC, but with PE there is interactive traffic just like on a real radio. Until you have some major contracts with the airlines or FlightSafety, you will likely want as much amateur traffic filling in the background chatter as possible.

The FF program would be a good idea, especially as you will likely have multiple billing tiers (private vs commercial) and you will want to make a buck off the individuals, but still encourage them to use the service (and fill the airwaves with chatter.) Also, you may modify the FF program requirements to suit your needs d'jour. For instance you may require they fly instrument, or airliners, or you may need helicopter traffic or people with funny texas accents. No radio frequency is complete without the absolute newb with 20 hours. there are flight schools all over the place.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Bob Slocum wrote:I was actually kind of hoping for something like this. Being someone who spends a lot of time in the air and on a semi fixed income, (I had a part time PC repair biz but it tanked with the economy) I could really take advantage of this. Especially if you let me fly me VA stuff in and out of Coverage. the Sadde6 arrival into LAX is still one of my favorites from Seattle. I guess maybe that's a bit more than 2 cents worth, Bob
Hi Bob,

I'm glad you like the concept. This sounds like it would be right up your alley, and would provide that extra incentive to put some serious hours on the network. Flights outside of the coverage area do not meet the goals of the FF program, which would be to provide live traffic, with radio comms, inside the coverage area. By way of example, if 300 people conducted in-out flights all over the country, only a small portion of them might be in the coverage area at any given time. That doesn't change the experience for those that are in the coverage area. They might also be a source of confusion for people who are watching the map and might say, "Ohhh, they cover Seattle, too, I'll go fly there!"

The coverage area was designed to be big enough to accommodate a 1.5hr mach 0.8 end to end flight. KSAN-KRDD is a good example. If you are willing to fly turboprops, the world gets even bigger, too, with far more airports and even longer flights.

If you hit the quota of hours with in-network flights, though, and want to do some in/out flights, though, I can't stop ya :) I just can't encourage the practice by making those flights eligible for the FF program. If you feel strongly about it, though, let me know, and we can discuss it.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Adam,

I agree with many parts of that. The goal is to have a constant presence of mostly random traffic within the coverage area. The drones do some of the job, but they're silent, and barred from towered airports and Class A/B/C/D airspace, so they are limited in their effectiveness. Traffic brings more traffic. Getting the ball rolling, however, will involve getting people to sign up and fly with the fewest number of perceived roadblocks. The FF program will be a 'thank you' from PE for those that commit to flying regularly on the network.

There might be other incentive programs for early adopters, too, which won't require them to commit to a number of flight hours each month.

And yes, the FF program might be a good starting point for the Traffic Shaping service, which is available to commercial customers who can request that there be certain types of traffic present around their route of flight during their sessions. FF pilots can do random flights and receive standard credit, and/or participate in Traffic Shaping flights (using specified airports and routes at specific times) for extra credit.
Bob Slocum

Post by Bob Slocum »

Keith Smith wrote:
Bob Slocum wrote:I was actually kind of hoping for something like this. Being someone who spends a lot of time in the air and on a semi fixed income, (I had a part time PC repair biz but it tanked with the economy) I could really take advantage of this. Especially if you let me fly me VA stuff in and out of Coverage. the Sadde6 arrival into LAX is still one of my favorites from Seattle. I guess maybe that's a bit more than 2 cents worth, Bob
Hi Bob,

I'm glad you like the concept. This sounds like it would be right up your alley, and would provide that extra incentive to put some serious hours on the network. Flights outside of the coverage area do not meet the goals of the FF program, which would be to provide live traffic, with radio comms, inside the coverage area. By way of example, if 300 people conducted in-out flights all over the country, only a small portion of them might be in the coverage area at any given time. That doesn't change the experience for those that are in the coverage area. They might also be a source of confusion for people who are watching the map and might say, "Ohhh, they cover Seattle, too, I'll go fly there!"

The coverage area was designed to be big enough to accommodate a 1.5hr mach 0.8 end to end flight. KSAN-KRDD is a good example. If you are willing to fly turboprops, the world gets even bigger, too, with far more airports and even longer flights.

If you hit the quota of hours with in-network flights, though, and want to do some in/out flights, though, I can't stop ya :) I just can't encourage the practice by making those flights eligible for the FF program. If you feel strongly about it, though, let me know, and we can discuss it.
Keith, I would have zero problem with fulfilling my "quota" inside the coverage before doing flights in or out of. I look forward to a long and flight full relationship.
jollyroger

Post by jollyroger »

I'm guessing you might be able to get some quality people if it's by invitation only. That way you can recruit when you need it and there is no expectation from the users to do something and wonder why they can't be part of the FF program. That way you get the quality you want, the amount you need and it's understood that the FF can be revoked if flights dropped off. Also it's probably not all that useful to have 30 people by flying at the same time as me ;) (Only after 8:00pm) and none at the other times.

However I would love to be part of a program like that. :D
robertvo

Post by robertvo »

Hi Keith,
I think it's an interesting idea as long as it doesn't actually lower the quality of the communication on your network.
Since you are venturing into uncharted territory I think you may have to experiment with a few ideas before you find something that works great for everyone involved.

For me as an IFR aspiring pilot not hearing other pilots is not that important, more importantly
I'd be willing to pay extra fee for an additional service of evaluation of what I did well, and where I messed up and what to improve.

Something like behind the scenes evaluation (email, chat or private voice chat channel) so that other pilots are not distracted.

Like the other day when I was doing VOR approach and you said "radar service terminated" and I was supposed to report my position, but I didn't and you explained it to me after I landed, that was a great feedback and I'd be willing to pay extra for that kind of service.

So you may even think about various levels of service such as free, basic paid and IFR pilot paid.
But at the same time, please don't over-complicate it, it's better to launch it sooner, start simple and take it from there.

Best of Luck! Rob