considering a 'frequent flier' program

Keith Smith

Re: considering a 'frequent flier' program

Post by Keith Smith »

There's a photo of the LiveATC founder flying with us at Oshkosh from a few months ago. The conversation was started with him more than a year ago :)

I've been working hard on the audio capture and streaming portion of this. I'm able to capture and record, but not stream live until the 3rd party vendor modifies the API that we use for voice. That will happen over the next few months and then we'll have live streaming on our site. We'll talk with Dave (liveatc.net) about utilizing his infrastructure at that time.
billkirk888

Post by billkirk888 »

I'll pose an alternate thought..

For myself, I am intrigued by the benefits Pilot Edge offers. Unfortunately due to work and family schedule, I don't have the time I would like to spend online flying. I'm guessing I'll be lucky to find 1, possibly 2 nights a week where I have time to dedicate (sometimes not at all). For this reason, $20 seems a bit out of reach. It's not an affordability issue, but simply a matter of principal. I can't see spending $20 per month on something I don't exprience the full benefit of.

From a business standpoint it might be worth while to entertain a way to make the cost more attractive to those of us who are more time-limited. A thought might be to offer limited online time for a smaller monthly fee for those customers in similar situatons.

For me at least, it may make the difference between becoming a customer or not. The resulting additional customers may oughtweigh any cost involved in modifying the billing system.

Bill Kirkland
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Bill,

We have considered it. It is something we might revisit after launch.

Are you also a real world pilot? How many hours might you be able to spend online each month?

Keith
billkirk888

Post by billkirk888 »

Thanks for the reply, Keith. I am not a real world pilot, however I have been flying sims since the Comodore 64 version was introduced eons ago. I have been flying online when it was first available, and have never looked back. I enjoy as much realism as a simulator can offer, and fly the more complex planes (PMDG 737ngx currently)

If time was not a factor, I would probably be on between 6 to 8 hours a week. My current situation only allows btween 2 to 3. I like short hops around an hour or so, and typically try to make 1 or 2 flights a week.

Bill Kirkland
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks, Bill. I know we discussed this on freq, but for the sake of closing the loop here for other readers... we will have a Charter Member program for the early adopters (like to be the first couple of hundred signups) that will receive a discounted rate. Additionally, we plan on setting up relationships with major virtual airlines which will also provide a discounting mechanism for sim enthusiasts.
Phil_ANW

Post by Phil_ANW »

Hey Keith,

Just curious if I should wait to sign up with my VA or sign up on the charter membership individually?

Thanks,
Phil
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Phil, based on ANW interest levels thus far, I don't know if there will be a partnership there. I would pull the trigger on the offer that's on the table. If a better deal comes about through a VA of which you're a member, you can always let us know and we'll honor that relationship.
Phil_ANW

Post by Phil_ANW »

;-) Sounds good!
skydivnqt

Post by skydivnqt »

Well I am getting into the game late here but at least I am here.

I only found out about PE about a week ago as I was reading through some of my magazines (AOPA, EAA). I am a 155 hour rw private pilot and I am starting to work on my instrument. I am in a club with a Cherokee and 172. The prospect of PE and what it can do is great but am put off by even a $20 per month fee. It is one of those "if I have to put out money to fly why not do it rw and log it rather than play a game". I love the idea of the FF program but that in itself can be an issue. I had gone for months without even opening the sim until I saw PE and had to check it out. My concern is that the frequent flyer hours needed will still be at a level that I wont be able to consistently maintain. My sim usage seems to go in spurts, and has a lot to do with the midwest weather (winter sim time jumps compared to summer). I plan to do what I can to be a part of the community to learn along my own goals as well as help out, maybe providing some of that background radio traffic, it will just be a wait and see how things play out.

Another idea is the Civil Air Patrol. If a prospective PE member can prove they are CAP and a rw pilot maybe some kind of break or discount on the PE fees or time requirements for FF. Similar idea to what I gather some VA's are talking about for a pricing structure. CAP could also be a good advertising outlet. I doubt that CAP National Headquarters would "officially" promote PE but it could be spread through the ranks in many ways. Also CAP is a non profit organization so any discounted or free memberships given could possibly be tax deductible to PE :D - remember I said possibly, I am not a lawyer to give legal advice or else I would not be trying to save money like this. ;)

Oh well, that is my 2 pennies for now. PE goes live in about 12 hours, just waiting to see what the charter program brings.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I have to keep this quick, but I'm responding now because there will be a narrow window during which you can register and get the membership for $14.95 instead of $19.95. If you do the 'sit back and wait' routine, that specific opportunity will go away. Once the first 100 ppl register, starting Saturday morning, that program will close.

CAP is on my list of organizations to work with, but I don't know what the final package will look like. It's too early to say. A few ppl from CAP have contacted me in the past, but haven't followed up.
if I have to put out money to fly why not do it rw and log it rather than play a game
Simple, this will save you time and money on your instrument ticket, and allow you to reach a level of comfort and proficiency during your training that would not be financially realistic to undertake in an airplane.

How many approach clearances, route clearances and hours of logged time is your $15 going to get you in a real airplane?

The frequent flier program is primarily aimed at sim enthusiasts who are not currently paying ANYTHING for r/w flying and are looking for an alternative to having to pay for this. A real world pilot is in a position to SAVE money on their flight training.

$15-20/mth is considered a bargain by those who use this for training and proficiency. I noticed you used the word 'game'. When you connect the sim to an environment like this, it ceases to be one and really can be a productive training tool.