Long Beach Pilot Briefing for AOPA Conference

Ian Elchitz

Long Beach Pilot Briefing for AOPA Conference

Post by Ian Elchitz »

Hi everyone,

Here's a short briefing of what we are looking for from our pilots during the AOPA conference:

The Sim at the conference is a Baron that will be flying under the callsign of N1055M.
We anticipate that each demo in the simulator will last approximately 15 minutes. People will start on the ground at Long beach and have two options:

1) Fly VFR and do some pattern work at Long Beach

2) Pick up an IFR clearance to shoot the ILS 30 approach.

Our goal is for our remote pilots to provide plausible radio and visual traffic for the people in the simulator.

For this to be accomplished we will need people to be:

On the ground at Long Beach
In the pattern at Long Beach
In the air somewhere on the frequency of the radar controller.

Please listen to what is happening with N1055M and adjust your plans accordingly. If people could coordinate so that we always have a mix of people doing the three items above - then the demo should provide people with what we are looking for. There should be traffic in all three areas at all times.

Keith and I will be unable to manage the traffic during the demo - so please do whatever you need to do for coordination to make this work.

Thanks again for providing the traffic guys. We will post tonight with any lessons learned and potential adjustments.

Ian.
Keith Smith

Re: Long Beach Pilot Briefing for AOPA Conference

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks for all the help yesterday, guys....it was just incredible. I realize that app was probably very quiet, the one time we went to do an IFR flight, an audio change was made to set up some speakers, win7 decided to adjust the mic volume (uncommanded of course), and then we were hosed for a long time. Once we were back online, we just flew VFR patterns.

The plan for today is to stay in the pattern, and to have the pattern remain as busy as possible. Pattern flights are nice and short for us, which allows more ppl to come through the sim.

If you can fly today any time from 9am-5pm pacific, please do, as the level of traffic makes a HUGE difference for the demo.

Feel free to do some patterns, pick up a clnc (even if socal isn't online, you disco after tower hands you off), or fly to/from Compton, perhaps. Helicopters are welcome to (Adam, great job yesterday!) For the most part, planes in the pattern are what we need.

Keith

I'll be leaving the drones off for now.
Ian Elchitz

Post by Ian Elchitz »

Quick thing: If we already have some traffic in the pattern - it might be nice to hear someone pick up an IFR clearance.
It could be to Vegas or new York or anywhere really. After you get "handed" off to SoCal - fly for a few mins and then just disconnect.

Remember to call for IFR clearance on the ground frequency so that we can hear it - and make sure that N1055M is on the ground at that point.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Lemme kow if youneed any helo action. I can always jump in a Jetranger or the S61 and do some ferry flights in the area. Adds a little spice to the scene :)
jimpdx

Post by jimpdx »

I hope Friday went well! I am on the ramp at LGB, could not connect to the server. I will hang out and wait a bit.
jimpdx

Post by jimpdx »

Anyone else having problems authenticating? I have the same username and password in the box I had two nights ago and now its saying invalid user/pass. I might be an idiot but I am fairly certain I didn't change anything :)
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

jimpdx wrote:Anyone else having problems authenticating? I have the same username and password in the box I had two nights ago and now its saying invalid user/pass. I might be an idiot but I am fairly certain I didn't change anything :)
Just heard from KS that there was some kind of a power outage hence the errors and bugs. If you use any ID and the password provided, it should work.

EDIT: Let me clarify that :) Use any ID, but the password remains unchanged.
jimpdx

Post by jimpdx »

Thanks I'm in. I might have overwritten the saved password with my forum pass or something.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

I've been having issues where the plugin works for a while, then comm to the tower gets broken, and eventually I get an error from Xplanes. I sent K the technical info, and right now I a have ripped out the plugin and folders and am downloading the latest plugin dated 11/13. See if that helps.

Oddly enough, I have good comm to the other aircraft, it just goes south when talking to the tower.

Dang, that is some marathon T&G! :)