Checkpoints

Keith Smith

Re: Checkpoints

Post by Keith Smith »

Dan, I remember thinking at the time how much work that flight was (I had very little time in IMC in the Lancair at that time), but still how much fun it was. I was pretty stoked that you were as pumped as I was when we landed.

It's Video #3 on this page if anyone wants to see it (requires DIVX). Excuse the music, it was not added in post-production...it was live on the intercom. I know the music sounds odd, but there's one track that I really like to listen to in high workload environments...it's a bit of an Iron Eagle thing.

*crickets*

I don't expect you young ones will know what that is :)
Dan Everette

Post by Dan Everette »

Keith,

One of the reasons I brought up that flight was this thread in part is talking about getting an instruction to go to a fix you are either not expecting or have no idea what they are talking about. I "fondly" remember that flight and the "98RS, proceed direct CHERN". I wasn't expecting it and my mouth vapor locked while I reached over to the right seat to grab the charts. Only thing I could think of was "say again"...

Thankfully I had Wile E Coyote strapped to a Lancair rocket right behind me, and the controller realized it would just be easier to let you go by and go direct CHERN. :)

Post by Daddy O »

Yep, there are some in-flight curveballs thrown in there. Sometimes I get a specific clearance, then halfway through the flight I am cleared direct to a new point. I figured most of the time it was because I was flying something like a CRJ200 that would have FMC and ATC just figured I would key in the info. With my simulator I keep a laptop to one side that I can pull up charts via skyvector, but under RW conditions I would not have the availability of a wifi connection (and would be leery about running my aircard while airborne.)

Do most of you use paper charts, or do we have a few people in PE who have stepped up to the Ipad running the Jepperson plugin?
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

I use a combo of ForeFlight on iPad, ForeFlight checklist, and a custom web app for charting inflight, and Skyvector for planning. No more paper! It's great.
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube