Filed IFR altitude

c.b.powell

Filed IFR altitude

Post by c.b.powell »

I'd like to solicit thoughts on the IFR altitude that I file in PE.

I've lately flown PE flights where an initial long leg was, say, MEA 6000' ... followed later by a higher (say, 8000') MEA leg to get over the mountains. If memory serves, the correct thing is to file for the initial cruising altitude of 6000, which seems to be supported by section 5-1-8 of the AIM. (It says, "Enter only the initial requested altitude in this block. When more than one IFR altitude or flight level is desired along the route of flight, it is best to make a subsequent request direct to the controller.")

In these cases, though, I've been cleared for the higher altitude right away. My expectation was to be cleared to 6 and later told to climb to 8. What's correct?

Chris
Keith Smith

Re: Filed IFR altitude

Post by Keith Smith »

Chris,

When have you been requesting the higher altitude?

It is likely that you will get it immediately upon request. Ergo, I would not request it until you need it. Also, our controllers tend to look ahead at upcoming MEA's and adjust altitude in anticipation of that.

Keith
c.b.powell

Post by c.b.powell »

Keith Smith wrote:Chris,

When have you been requesting the higher altitude? It is likely that you will get it immediately upon request. Ergo, I would not request it until you need it.
Well, it hasn't come to that. I've filed for, say, 6 but been given 8 in my initial IFR clearance.
Also, our controllers tend to look ahead at upcoming MEA's and adjust altitude in anticipation of that.
Right, I see that. I'm not complaining, by the way. I was just curious; the AIM says one thing but it appeared that the PE expectation was another.

Chris
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I misunderstood the sequence of events, sorry about that. It sounds like you're filing 6 but getting it in the clearance while on the ground. That's likely to be a case of the controllers looking ahead and assigning an altitude that's greater than the highest MEA for the cleared route of flight (if it's within ZLA).

I'm actually not sure how this is handled r/w as most of the routes I fly involve LOAs with little flexibility for altitude. If the controller gives a higher than filed altitude, and you would prefer the lower altitude until later in the flight, you should not have any qualms about negotiating the altitude you'd actually like :)

This is a good one for us to think about, though, as we formulate our policies prior to launch. I'll keep it in mind, thanks for bringing it up.
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

I'll add my 2c..

One thing that's the likely 'cause' of this looking ahead on ATC's part, is the simple fact that due to a large portion of our controllers being from VATSIM, over the years of controlling there, we have simply gotten far too accustomed to controlling _absolutely everything_ for the most part, and thereby are used to having the ability to have a far greater idea of things to come down the road for each flight, compared to a lonely real world tower cab :)
David Carman

Post by David Carman »

Adding my .02 also. As a controller, if I see something that needs to be done, and I can do it now, I will, so I don't have to do it later. Meaning if I see you need 8k later, and I can clear you to it now, I will so I don't forget or if I get busy I don't have to worry about it. As Keith said, if you want lower initially, feel free to ask for it and I'm sure you'll get it 95% of the time.