airspace question

Acroshaw

airspace question

Post by Acroshaw »

slightly puzzled by the airspace around Palm Springs, and Cochran , looks like class e around Cochran which is normally from 1200 , but there seems to be an altitude field given of 100/35 and then 100/sfc at Palm Springs ? does this mean the class e extends from 3500 to 10000 ? could some kind soul give me a quick rundown of the airspace around these two airports ? I shall be listening to the relavent workshop again tomorrow and hopefully will be clear again !!
Peter Grey

Re: airspace question

Post by Peter Grey »

Hello,

Palm Springs is special in that it has a Terminal Radar Service Area (TRSA) around it. That is the altitudes you are seeing in gray boxes around the airport. If you look carefully you'll notice the actual Palm Springs airport is Class D airspace.

A TRSA can best be described as non-mandatory Class C airspace. If you contact approach you will get the same services you get in Class C airspace, however you do not have to participate.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Acroshaw

Post by Acroshaw »

Great thanks Peter ! I assume then if my vfr route takes me over Cochran and the onto Palm Springs I will need to get a transition unless I already have flight following ?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

always consider the type of airspace you're in. if you fly through the psp delta then you must be in communication with atc. if you go through the trsa then communication is optional. the first workshop convers this.