TEC - Tower Enroute Control, SBD to HRR

deanpca

TEC - Tower Enroute Control, SBD to HRR

Post by deanpca »

I am contemplating using Tower Enroute Control to fly SBD to HRR.

From my ground school days I remember that TEC was created EXACTLY for this kind of short flight through the very complex airspace of an area like LA. I believe TEC is considered a VFR route even though you are in contact with ATC during the flight, similar to Flight Following. As I recall TEC means that you are handed off from Tower to Tower rather than "regular" ATC controllers.

In my A/FD in the Tower Enroute Control section under "Empire Area" CBD to HHR is listed as Route ID "ONTM2". The "Route" is listed as "PDZ PDZ270R" and "Altitude" is shown as JMPQ30. Does anyone know anything about TEC and what the actual procedure would be to fly this route?

If I am interpreting the instructions in the A/FD correctly I would depart CBD and fly directly to PDZ with an initial altitude of 3000'msl. I assume that upon reaching PDZ I would be vectored for an approach to HHR. I don't see what 270R has to do with the route. The 270 radial doesn't seem to align with either airport.

I would list my route on my Flight Plan as "ONTM2 Q" the "Q" referring to my aircraft type (non-jet 189kts or less).

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dean
Keith Smith

Re: TEC - Tower Enroute Control, SBD to HRR

Post by Keith Smith »

Dean,

You can read a brief article about TEC in our Pilot Training Center here: http://training.pilotedge.net/object/tec2.html

TEC routes are covered in the training program during the I3 and I4 rating. In the I3, pilots fly a TEC route which is served up to them in the rating text. In the I4, the examiner (right now, that's the controller) nominates a destination, then you have to use one of a number of resources to find the route in the TEC system, file it, and fly it. I see you're using the AF/D as your source of TEC routes....well...it just doesn't get any better than that so I won't even bother listing the others.

TEC is a _HUGE_ part of flying IFR in Socal. Near as I can tell, Socal has the most well-defined TEC route system in the country, replete with route codes, and the ability to pick up a clearance without even filing.

A few corrections, TEC is not a VFR procedure. It's strictly IFR. It also doesn't involve being handed from tower to tower. The goal of TEC is to keep you within TRACON airspace, and along a very well-defined series of corridors and flows.

Regarding the ONTM2, TEC routes are designed on an area to area basis, rather than airport to airport. Think of it as a freeway linking major cities. When you leave your house, you have to do some work to get on the freeway, and that process is going to vary from house to house. Same thing with TEC routes. ATC will generally include instructions for joining the TEC route as part of the clearance.

The best way to think of it is that you can plan on getting, at a minimum, whatever is listed in the TEC route. The initial clearance may have some stuff before it, and less likely, some stuff after it, but the TEC route will make an appearance in there somewhere.

PDZ PDZ270R means you'll be going to PDZ then after that, the PDZ270R. This is a relatively rare ending to a TEC route, but in this case, you can expect vectors to an approach at the destination after the last point in the TEC route.
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

The reason why the 'tower' part comes into the nomenclature, is due to the fact that years ago, many TRACONs used to be combined up with towers. So really you would go from one tower to the next, as that facility was also approach control.

Some still remain(SBA and BFL are good examples in ZLA).

Even if TRACONs that eventually made up SoCal TRACON, didn't necessarily exist as separate facilities, I guess the FAA just has to have a name that works for all, so it was probably easier going by what was generally the case.

History police, feel free to correct if I'm off - This is just what makes sense me, based on self-studies of these types of things.
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

If I recall, that particular TEC is WAFDOF the whole way. (wrong altitude for direction of flight)
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net