Non-towered ops primer from ASF

Keith Smith

Non-towered ops primer from ASF

Post by Keith Smith »

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/sa08.pdf

This is an excellent resource, I would HIGHLY recommend reading over this. There's something in there for nearly everyone! I particularly like the part begging pilots not to use "any traffic in the area, please advise." This is an epidemic that is spreading like wildfire. Tune the CTAF and climb to altitude and it's almost all you hear any more.

Another great one is "any traffic base to final, please advise," often used by aircraft holding short of the runway. Here's a thought....LOOK....OUT....THE...WINDOW, and LISTEN on the radio while you taxi to the runway.

I'll get this linked in the Training program, too.

Keith
Brandon Grchan

Re: Non-towered ops primer from ASF

Post by Brandon Grchan »

Keith Smith wrote:http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/sa08.pdf

This is an excellent resource, I would HIGHLY recommend reading over this. There's something in there for nearly everyone! I particularly like the part begging pilots not to use "any traffic in the area, please advise." This is an epidemic that is spreading like wildfire. Tune the CTAF and climb to altitude and it's almost all you hear any more.

Another great one is "any traffic base to final, please advise," often used by aircraft holding short of the runway. Here's a thought....LOOK....OUT....THE...WINDOW, and LISTEN on the radio while you taxi to the runway.

I'll get this linked in the Training program, too.

Keith

Good post!

I had to laugh after reading this I hear someone on PE who was at OKB with me on the last SOCAL feature say "any traffic in the area, please advise." Its sad to see that things like this are being taught at commercial schools.
Brandon Grchan
PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller
Ted Laux

Post by Ted Laux »

From the When section on the home page: "ATC presence is only guaranteed during the published operating hours. The voice system works at all times, however, so you can interact with other pilots on the published CTAF for a non-towered airport any time at all."

I don't see a CTAF for airports that are towered and continuously attended in the real world (e.g. KONT). What frequency should be used when flying into and out of these airports when there is no ATC presence? The tower frequency?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Ted,

Yes, use the tower freq in absence of a published CTAF if ATC is not available.