Slant Alpha help

Brian Ratledge

Slant Alpha help

Post by Brian Ratledge »

Last night I was flying a twin engine Beech 18 from SAC to SFO. I have NAV1 and NAV2 with DME. No GPS. The IFR clearance was "turn left hdg 150 radar vectors SAC then as filed". The filed flight plan was SAC V6 SFO. As you can see, I was actually vectored to join V6 without crossing SAC. I was not prepared to join V6 from anywhere other than crossing over SAC vor.

Being so close to the VOR it was hard for me to work out where I was in relation to it. Wild needle swings when I tried to spin the obs to center the needle. Not to mention it not staying centered long enough for me to get anything from it. All that, along with flying the plane and talking on the radio, I finally gave up trying to figure out what was going on and asked for an explanation and a position report from ATC. Once he explained it, along with telling me what to tune the obs to, :oops: I was fine.

The ground track can be seen here: http://peaware.pilotedge.net/flight.cfm?id=2447

Questions:
Is there anything I could have done in setting up the cockpit prior to departure with NAV1 and NAV2 to make it easier to know where I was than simply using just the one radio?

Should I have been prepared to join that airway from anywhere other than what I was given in the clearance? If so, any tips on the preparation.

Any tips for navigating so close to the VOR in relation to using the obs? Last night I found it useless. I was unable to use it and do everything else that needed to be done to fly the plane.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net
Alex Stjepanovic

Re: Slant Alpha help

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

*Non-rw pilot disclaimer*

How do BR,

Generally when there's a bunch of VORs or radials in quick succession, I try and tune the NAV1 and 2(And standbys if they have them) in such an order as to allow the switch from one to the next in the same order that they'd be encountered in. It gets a bit tricky with vectors as it throws a wrench in the works, but generally it works out for the most part.

Using your example, here's what I would have done:

Tune NAV1 to SAC, NAV1 standby to OAK, as V6 bends at REJOY and set the OBS1 to SAC195R(V6 outbound from SAC).
Tune NAV2 to SAC, NAV2 standby to OAK or SFO, and set OBS2 to some general southwesterly radial of SAC, so should you indeed be sent direct, you can do it with minimal of twisting, without worrying about messing up the V6 settings(Looking at the map, it would be somewhere around 220* initial heading to the VOR, by the time you probably start getting any vectors at all).
If you start getting vectored onto V6(You should be told that since your clearance was previously vectors to the VOR instead), you can just use the NAV1 and play with NAV2 later.
Once established on V6, I'd set NAV2 primary to OAK, NAV2 standby to either SFO SAC or even one of the advertised approach frequencies at SFO, just in case it's needed, and OBS2 to OAK202R(V6 inbound to OAK).
This way it can all be flipflopped with ease. Once crossing REJOY(Also the changeover point), I'd start navigating with NAV2, while setting NAV1 and OBS1 all over again, probably starting to think about the approaches again, as OAK is the only planned navaid in the picture right now.

That's generally what I do online.
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

Thanks for the reply AT. Good to see you too. Thanks for the help with NAV1 and NAV2 and standbys. I try to use them as much as possible. The main part of my question, though, concerns this part https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6 ... directlink

My ifr clnc was "turn left hdg 150 radar vectors SAC then as filed". I was surprised when tracon, instead, gave me vectors for V6. I was so close to the VOR that I couldnt work out if I was being vectored for V6 prior to, or after SAC. The needles were moving so fast I couldnt get a bearing.

The whole flight setup on the ground was geared to me crossing SAC. When it was changed I didnt know where I was in relation to the VOR or V6 because I was so close to it and fly the plane too. It's like the whole game changed at the worst possible time.
Brian Ratledge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hey BR,

You asked a great question, "should I have been prepared to join the airway at a point other than SAC?"

Absolutely.

The route you receive on the ground is a starting point and the instruction to "expect vectors to SAC" is really only important from a lost comms standpoint (in which case you proceed directly to the point to which you expected the vectors, ie, SAC").

"Vectors to SAC" is a nice entry point to the airway, because it can be flown non-radar if need be, hence, it's given as the initial clearance on the ground. However, once you're in the air, there's no iron-clad contract that you will actually be pointed towards the SAC VOR. Certainly, be prepared to do it, but also be prepared to be given something else, too. In this case, you were vectored to join the airway at a point further along the airway after SAC (a slight shortcut, and much less of a tight turn than would've been required to go direct SAC then join the airway).

Given the airborne instruction to, "fly hdg xxx, join V6 then resume own nav", I would've glanced at the chart, set the OBS for V6 out of SAC and then checked to see if the flag was showing TO or FROM. A TO reading would mean that I was still heading towards SAC and that the controller is vectoring me to join the airway prior to SAC. If that was the case, I'd adjust the OBS to track that segment (which is a different course because of the dogleg at SAC).

In your case, you would've either seen a FROM flag, or no flag, implying that you were abeam the VOR. In either of those cases, continue on the heading until the needle centers, then you're on the airway.

If it's not working out, simply ask ATC, "is this vector going to have me join before or after SAC VOR?" and then all doubt goes away.

If you would simply prefer to go direct SAC, then don't hesitate to request it, "ok, hdg xxx to join the airway, request direct Sacramento VOR."

Often, the controller will give you the heading to join the airway to give you a more gentle intercept, or as a shortcut. If it's actually more harmful than helpful for you, don't be shy about asking for what you want. Traffic permitting, you'll get it. :)

Keith
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

Thanks for the help guys.
Brian Ratledge