visiting JFK in a single engine piston

Keith Smith

visiting JFK in a single engine piston

Post by Keith Smith »

I had a business trip coming up and was not looking forward to driving and parking at JFK so I looked into the logistics and costs of flying myself into JFK. $25 plus $1.99 for every 1000lbs of gross weight. Parking is free for an hour, then $25 for every 8 hours after that. If you depart or arrive within 1500-2200 local, it's an extra $100 (the "go away!" charge).

I added up the figures, time saving, and Fun Factor(tm) compared to driving/parking and decided it was worth doing one time.

The result was interesting. I departed Lincoln Park (N07), transitioned the CDW Delta, then called EWR tower on their published VFR transition freq and called for an overhead transition of EWR, landing Kennedy. I supplied the aircraft type and code (not many controllers know that the code is LNC2) and was soon cleared into the Bravo over the 4L/R numbers at 1500, standard for north ops there.

Next instruction was direct the VZ Bridge and to contact JFK tower. I'll keep it short because I'm juggling other things right now...but tower basically thought I was a helicopter. With assigned altitudes of 900ft and then 500ft, it got interesting. I kept it over the water as much as possible to avoid....you know, scaring the c*ap out of people. I pushed for a runway assignment but was told to "plan for the GA terminal."

Eventually the rubber hit the road and while making a 360 to remain west of 31L as instructed, tower said, "we have a problem...I am looking out the window here.....are you a fixed wing?"

It got sorted out and I was sent out over the ocean to be sequenced by TRACON...who immediately turned me back towards the 31L numbers at JFK, pointed out an arriving CRJ and told me to keep the speed up and follow them, then sent me to the tower.

I checked in with the tower who told me to start slowing as I was gaining on the CRJ by 40kts. Slow poke :) Kidding aside, I was just about to start slowing in any case, I certainly wasn't going to maintain that all the way down to the numbers. They have to conduct stabilized approaches with their speeds dialed in from quite a way out...I don't, so it allows me to keep up my speed until I'm considerably closer to the field. I landed on 31L then made me way to the GA terminal. The view on final of 2 747's holding short was neat. That, and JFK is fricking enormous.

Arrived at the terminal, Port Authority shuttled me over to the Jet Blue terminal and off I went to SMF for a week. Flew home on the red eye, got picked up by PA again, paid the fees, called metering as instructed with aircraft type, destination, etc, and was driven out to the airplane. The guy said, "so THIS is your airplane. We've been wondering....people have been talking about this thing all week!"

Got to the plane, called delivery (with engine off), got my VFR dep clearance (hdg 185, vectors through the bravo, 2.5k, dep freq 135.90, squawk code). Started up, pulled up to the edge of the movement area and called for taxi. The line of departures was spectacular. I wondered how the hell this was going to pan out. Rwy 13R was in use, which was awesome since it was next to the terminal.

"rwy 13R, taxi via Quebec, hold short of Papa Alpha."

I held short at Papa Alpha for a while (flanked by 2 Port Authority guys who kept stopping their vans to take pictures at various points. I don't get it....but I'm happy for 'em and glad they like the plane!) and kept my mouth shut. I figured that in spite of the long delay, this wasn't their first day at the rodeo. I eventually heard an American Eagle to hold short of Papa Alpha for his sequence and figured I would be the next call. Sure enough, follow the E-135 to 13R, the American Eagle will hold short of PA for me.

What was less awesome was knowing that there were at least 10 planes ahead of me, and that this would take a while. I sent a text message to my wife who was going to meet me at the airport with the kids and extended family to take some family portraits at the airport..."going to at least another 20 mins before I takeoff." I was about right.

With just 2 planes ahead of me, I buttoned up the canopy with the 4 latches (it gets hot very quickly in there without much air flow, so I delay this as long as possible) and waited. The E-135 started his roll and I was told to line up and wait. I noted his rotation point, planning to rotate and turn before that point to avoid....you know...dying.

As soon as the E-135 was sent to departure, I was cleared for takeoff, no wake turbulence, nada...off we go. 14,000ft of runway, should be plenty :)

I'm off and cleaning up the gear and flaps when I hear, "what is that?" Oh, here we go. Tower says, "the guy calls himself a Lance."

Well, them's fightin' words right there... "Actually, it's a Lancair." More silence, then another guy, "What's it doing here?"

I wasn't about to explain everything so I kept it short, "Leaving." :)

Got to about 140-145kts by the time I was approaching the rotation point, so I started the climbing turn to hdg 185 and 2500...never felt a bump from the E-135.

Checked in with departure, got a few vectors and a climb to 5500, heard someone else being given an expedited climb to 6000, probably to avoid me. Other than that, I was out of their way pretty quickly and over the top of the VOR 13L arrivals coming in low over the water. After that, was issued direct COL with a handoff to 128.55 (METRO sector if memory serves), cleared back into the Bravo direct Lincoln Park at or below 3000. Was cleared to descend through CDW's Delta as I was crossing overhead, canceled flight following, swapped to the N07 CTAF (122.80, on voice, though!), made the call for entering left downwind rwy 19.

Met with the kids and family then took a few of the extended family members up for a few laps.

What a day....honk if you love GA!

Pictures

I'm working on a compilation of the audio. Brian R already put something together for part of the arrival.
Peter Grey

Re: visiting JFK in a single engine piston

Post by Peter Grey »

Facility Total Operations
JFK 291,299
PRC 320,228
I still don't understand JFK :D

No seriously though, cool story.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

Keith you should put the PE logo on the Lancair! :)

Thanks for the fun read.
TheMadDocMD

Post by TheMadDocMD »

Leaving sounds not as fun as arriving in a rotorcraft!
MD
Real World Controller
FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) Graduate - Sacramento, CA
FAA Certificated Aircraft Dispatcher
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

Nice work man. What's next for you? Logan? LAX? Heathrow? Caldwell on a busy Saturday afternoon? :)
Last edited by Brian Ratledge on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm not sure I'm ready to try Caldwell on a busy day. That takes some chops! :)
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

I didn't think they would even let you into JFK with a piston single. Usually the whole wake turbulance issue means holding up their departure process for 3 whole minutes (they usually launch a plane a minute or less.)

Guess that's why they charge so much for parking. To keep the small fries away.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Great story, Keith. Thank you for sharing.
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

EDIT Apologies....I posted a link to the unedited file. Here is the correct link:

http://www.box.net/shared/kexxg6lao9k4rg82visn

JFK Tower audio provided by liveatc. Appx 7mb.
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net
DrZGard

Post by DrZGard »

Honk... I do love GA. Neat story Keith, thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Dr. Zane Gard
ASEL IFR

AOPA #00915027
EAA #825848
American Mensa #100314888