CTAF frequency

arb65912

CTAF frequency

Post by arb65912 »

It might be a trivial question but I am always confused about that one.

After take off from class D for example airport and having frequency changed approved, what frequency I switch to?
CTAF frequency of the airport I took of from is usually ( correct me if I am wrong) the Tower frequency.

So, let's say I stay on that frequency for a while but what next?
I am clear off class B or C.

Should I switch to different CTAF frequencies as I fly close to different airports or to their Tower frequencies if they have one?

Another question, last night there was only two pilots flying ( it was late) and after refreshing the PE website, there was no indication of Controller being present but he was still responding to the calls.
Is that some kind of switch to show or hide the controller on controller's side?

Thank you, Andrzej
Peter Grey

Re: CTAF frequency

Post by Peter Grey »

After take off from class D for example airport and having frequency changed approved, what frequency I switch to?
There is no defined frequency to change to, your free to change to any frequency you need or simply turn off your radio at this point. I will note that 122.75 is a common air to air frequency for talking to other aircraft.
Is that some kind of switch to show or hide the controller on controller's side?
Not that I know of, my guess is that a controller was online but not covering all of NORCAL, KS can correct me if this is incorrect.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Thank you, Peter. Since I was making a short trip along the shore North and coming back shortly after, I stayed on Tower frequency which became CTAF frequency after controller was gone and used it for communication when I was 15 miles out.

As far as 122.75, is there any source that indicates use of this frequency as the one for air to air conversation?
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

As far as 122.75, is there any source that indicates use of this frequency as the one for air to air conversation?
AIM 4-1-11 Table 4-1-3
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

arb65912 wrote:Another question, last night there was only two pilots flying ( it was late) and after refreshing the PE website, there was no indication of Controller being present but he was still responding to the calls.
The beta had officially ended at the top-level controller had logged off, hence the web site showed the ARTCC as being off line. The tower controller may have stayed online to handle your arrival/departure, so you still received tower service. This was a temporary situation and not one that is advertised to the users. It's a bit like a store reaching closing time...the sign on the door says, "closed" but there are still a few shoppers finishing up their transactions. There's no need for a sign on the door saying, "closed except for the two guys that are finishing up at the cash register" :)

After being issued a freq change, I typically monitor the local approach frequency. If it's not too busy and I'm going somewhere more than 5-10 minutes away, I will call for flight following.

Keith
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

"closed except for the two guys that are finishing up at the cash register" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All clear now, I was just curious, thank you , Keith.