CTAF for chat

JonFly

CTAF for chat

Post by JonFly »

Would it be out of the question to get a designated frequency for non-atc traffic? A place I could tune to and chat live with other PE users. This would be especially helpful in getting to know other PE folks.

If this channel caught on and was regularly used there could also be regular meetups, in the ham radio world we call these nets. For example , say at 6am Pacific or at midnight Pacific when ATC services are not online a group of pilots could get on the chat CTAF and "check in" There could be informal meetups but also more structured meetups. During a formal net, a "Net Control" would ask for check ins, users would check in with their aircraft callsigns, the net control would make a list of the check ins and then start a round table where people would introduce themselves,

Ok our first check in tonight is N572DX, go ahead and take the mic

"Hi there, this is N572DX, Jon. I am from Utah. I am new to PE. I use mostly P3D, I am considering restarting my PPL training in the real world. I am interested in why many users on PE are using X-plane?

Net control: "Thanks for checking in Jon, nice to meet you" I use FSX but maybe our other check ins who use X-plane can comment on why they went that route"

N123ZZ, your turn.

"Hello everyone, this is N123ZZ, Jeff. A PE user for two years now. I am an X-plane user and I think the biggest reason I switched was because of the flight dynamics.................. My question to the group is where is everyone with regard to their PE Ratings?

Maybe the third person could comment on both x-plane and the ratings question or pose a new question

Outside of these "nets" pilots could meet on this chat CTAF with another pilot one on one and coordinate a fly-in or joint flight. I know of the forum topic that allows this coordination but talking live with someone to coordinate could be useful and quite enjoyable.

I think this would increase the amount of pilots that are logged onto the network and would possibly put more human planes on the map. It also could be a resource for informal training. For example I could bounce an idea off of a fellow pilot or controller. "Jack, I was thinking of flying into the focus field tonight, what do you think is the best path from KSNA? or " Hey I got busted the other night for flying the KSNA pattern at 1000 ft, I did not know it was 800ft for single engine" or... "It has become easier to watch restricted airspace on my iPad using this app called Foreflight, have you seen that?" I have numerous questions that I would love to ask people and I am sure many others are in the same boat. I would also love to hear about what other people are using. On occasion we could also chat about our mistakes and then learn from each other. " I think I am using too many words when I am on the radio, I need to be more succinct"

Maybe the net idea will not fly but again one on one or small group chatting would enhance my experience on PE. Although just between you and me, it need not be any more enhanced to keep me as a user, I just signed up for a year.

Maybe this type of chatting is already happening, if so let me know where so I can start to meet my fellow pilots

Also, has a live chat room (text) ever been explored?

Thanks for letting me throw these items out there. If this type of activity is not in the spirit of the network, I understand.

Do you ever write a forum post and think to yourself maybe this should have been a PM

Happy Flying
Jon
Jon aka "JonFly"
See my livestreams www.twitch.tv/jonfly
Join the new X-Plane Users Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/xplaneusers/
Peter Grey

Re: CTAF for chat

Post by Peter Grey »

The network has set up 123.45 for this purpose (it has no range restrictions and is set up a bit differently to allow for this).

Real world 123.45 is the "unofficial" frequency for this purpose (within the US), the official frequency is 122.75 but that frequency is more commonly used for position reporting in practice areas so we didn't want to "publish" it for non specific discussion here.
in the ham radio world we call these nets
KD2IOC out. ;)
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
JonFly

Post by JonFly »

Thanks Peter for the information. I am happy to know this frequency exists.

KD2IOC de K7CO you are 59
Jon aka "JonFly"
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

I missed the part about a text chat room. We have one of those as well:

http://irc.pilotedge.net/
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
JonFly

Post by JonFly »

Perfect! Infrastructure exists. Ah, good ole Kiwi IRC. I used Kiwi IRC when I was on my DXpedition to Christmas Island in 2014 (VK9X) It came in handy. See you over there.
Jon aka "JonFly"
barcman1967

Post by barcman1967 »

I like the 123.45 As mentioned, it's Real World universally understood....and to add, not just in US, it's the same up here in Canada too!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Please note that 123.45 is configured for full duplex in the PilotEdge clients. This means that you'll be able to hear while you're transmitting (something that doesn't exist on the other freqs), making it ideal for chatting and tech support.
JonFly

Post by JonFly »

Any chance we could get 123.45 listed on the pilot receiver?
Jon aka "JonFly"
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'd rather not include that in the Receiver for a fairly wide range of reasons.
JonFly

Post by JonFly »

Fair enough. I just wanted a way for people to know that someone was on it. I can understand why you dont want it listed.
Jon aka "JonFly"