flights outside of the coverage area

Nelson L.

Re: flights outside of the coverage area

Post by Nelson L. »

I'm going to assume you didn't sit in front of the computer for the whole 5 and a half hours :shock: On the topic of Excel flights, is there a way to access the schedules without having an Excel User ID (seeing as I can't get into the atpexperience.net website?)? Would love to tag along without having to rely on checking the PE homepage at the right time.
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
Thomas_Horn

Post by Thomas_Horn »

Thanks tshuff,

but how do you get the clearance if you start OUTSIDE and fly into LA ARTCC? There is no PE controller in - let´s say - Phoenix I guess...
Any "official" comments from the PE staff?
X-Plane 11.32, Windows 10, 4.8 GHz 7700K, 16 GB RAM. 4K 55'' Screen resolution with Nvidia GTX 1070. ELITE and PFC flight controls
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

I'm in no way official, but upon entering the service area you should call the nearest center/approach controller, which can be found on charts from places like skyvector.
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

I'm in no way official, but upon entering the service area you should call the nearest center/approach controller, which can be found on charts from places like skyvector.
This is the way to do it.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

Nelson L. wrote:I'm going to assume you didn't sit in front of the computer for the whole 5 and a half hours :shock: On the topic of Excel flights, is there a way to access the schedules without having an Excel User ID (seeing as I can't get into the atpexperience.net website?)? Would love to tag along without having to rely on checking the PE homepage at the right time.
I actually did sit at the computer the whole time. I ran the flight while I was working remotely and would occasionally flip back and watch the world go by for a few minutes :).
Thomas_Horn wrote:Thanks tshuff,

but how do you get the clearance if you start OUTSIDE and fly into LA ARTCC? There is no PE controller in - let´s say - Phoenix I guess...
Any "official" comments from the PE staff?
Check the world high charts for a Los Angeles Center "postage stamp" along your route and call in about 20-30 miles prior to entering the airspace.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

If I'm flying into the PE area from just outside, like Arizona, I'll file online, get airborne then about 30 miles out, I'll call for a "pop up" IFR. Sometimes, if it's an obvious airliner route (KDEN TO KLAX) I'll file online and call LA Center like he just go the handoff from Denver Center ("United 703, FL340, smooth ride"). If the controller balks, I'll request an IFR clearance and go from there.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
N2897M

Post by N2897M »

Peter Grey wrote:
This is the way to do it.
Sky Vector is great, I use it all the time with PE.
Hpeterson10579

Post by Hpeterson10579 »

Is it still possible to start a flight outside of the coverage area into the coverage area? For example if I am starting in houston and landing in Phoenix? (Assuming one has the western coverage area) It’s good for the ending at least and one can satisfy a flight from their virtual airline... ending the flight with ATC is better than not ATC at all.... just wondering if it’s possible... thanks!
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Yes, nothing has changed in this regard, other than that you will be disconnected if flying in a PE-covered area that you are not subscribed to. Areas with no PE coverage options available are not affected.
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Hpeterson10579

Post by Hpeterson10579 »

Thanks for the info!!!