flights outside of the coverage area

Keith Smith

flights outside of the coverage area

Post by Keith Smith »

The ATC coverage area for PE is the Los Angeles ARTCC (soon to include the Oakland ARTCC, too). By definition, no ATC is available outside of those areas.

Ideally, pilots will conduct flights that are entirely within the coverage area, or perhaps conduct flights that originate and/or terminate within the coverage area. This will help contribute to the traffic density and radio traffic.

That said, the radio system does work anywhere on the planet, so if there's a specific desire to fly elsewhere, either with a group of pilots, or as a solo flight, the system certainly supports it and pilots are well within their rights to do it.

Note: this post was significantly edited 2/22/12 to reflect in response to recent pilot feedback.
arb65912

Re: flights outside of the coverage area

Post by arb65912 »

It makes sense to me, since PE covers the Los Angeles and Oakland ARTCC's, there is no benefit of using the Network flying out of the coverage area.

I fly on PE mostly for learning and the joy of flying and interacting with ATC but there are probably pilots who like to see their hours logged on PE.
In this case, they need to file IFR flight plans and PE will keep track of their flights ONLY if they fly on the Network.
As I said above, it is not case for me but others might be concerned.

Is the reason of mentioned trend to just have pilots flying in the coverage area, protection for network overload or both?

Of course in case of group flight taking advantage of using CTAF frequency for communication would be a great thing and if I understood correctly, it is OK to do so on the Network.

On a side note, I have interacted with quite a few new controllers recently, since my hearing problem caused a bit of misunderstanding and I had to repeat magic words "say again" :) I had a great time and the feeling of just flying there like in real life.

Since I fly mostly VFR flights for now, I am starting to get an idea how the airspace works, looking at the Sectionals have a different, new meaning now and I see how the "rules" depicted on Sectional convert into real life flying thank to PE professional Controllers.

Thank you for a great experience, Keith, PE is the only one that gets as close to real life as it can. Excellent job!

Cheers, Andrzej
DrZGard

Post by DrZGard »

Maybe we should designate a few pilots that can coordinate a fighter intercept if someone is abusing the system. That would be fun!
Regards,
Dr. Zane Gard
ASEL IFR

AOPA #00915027
EAA #825848
American Mensa #100314888
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Kieth has the ability to link to their headset as if he were there in the cockpit with them.

But intercepting them with Falcons would indeed be fun. back on Vatsim I had proposed some intercepts (simulate smugglers crossing the border) but the troupe was too busy selling cookies for anything as politically incorrect as that. :o
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Let's not all get too excited. I would never say that the system was being 'abused' by someone flying outside of the coverage area. People who do that are largely harmless and don't mean for it to cause any hassle on our end. I would hazard a guess that most people aren't aware that it has the ability to cause any confusion.

That was the reason for making a specific post about it. It's going to take some time to get the message out there, though.
Bob Slocum

Post by Bob Slocum »

I'm one of those "guys" that flies into and out of PE ATC coverage. My apologies for not reading this sooner and I will abide by the above parameters henceforth...
Les Parson

Post by Les Parson »

Same here. I go where FSE dollars take me, but will heed this advice operating outside ZLA. Today, I had a FSE flight from KPHX (ZAB) to KVCV with the Flight 1 C510 Mustang. There can be display problems with this aircraft while minimizing screens, so I set everything up prior including connecting to the server prior to departure. Anyway, will think of another MO for flights that originate or exit ZLA.

Is ZOA airspace presently available for PE?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Les,

This page covers the operating area and expansion plans:
http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/operatin ... rvice-area

ZOA is next. We basically have to double our controlling team to be able to open it full time. We're working on the plan for initiating coverage there, we know a LOT of people are waiting for it and are ready to stretch their legs outside of ZLA.

Re: FSE, a good number of people here are big FSE fans. A couple of controllers have built FBO's that provide round trip flights within the ZLA/ZOA area. Feel free to start a convo our FSE subforum to get some tips of some FBO's that provide roundtrips within ZLA, there's quite a few of 'em.
Zebra

Post by Zebra »

Gday Kieth,

After Just signing up to the 2 week trial....and handing over my CC details (have had no confirmation yet btw :? )

I have stubled across this post (well duh...Im posting in it lol)

I find it strange that you say we should be offline for flights outside of this area....

I feel that for $240p/a I should be allowed to fly where ever I like online

I understand that the whole idea of Pilotedge is to have fulltime quality ATC (which also extends to unicom/CTAF calls)...which is what I am after...both the pilot and ATC numbers on VATSIM on are dwindling. So idealy I am looking for a high quality server for online simming...If however I (or any member) am expected to log off as soon as I leave a small area of airspace my enthusiasm will soon die off.

I hope you dont take this the wrong way, but the current staffed area is too small for jet airliner flights and also have no decent addon scenery for low and slow VFR flying (using FSX) . I have been doing a lot of flying in the new ORBX NA areas and would like to continue doing so (even if it means using CTAF's only for now) having members flying in the same area as myself who are proficent at CTAF calls, and not the jibberish you hear on VATSIM at times will make a huge difference to my online flying.

In saying all that I'm hoping my (somewhat cynical) opinion is blown out of the water this time tomorrow and I shall be hunting in earnst for some So-cal scenery

Regards

Andrew

p.s....gimmie my password already...I wanna fly :D
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

After reading the reply, I have to agree with Andrew.

I understand that there is no reason to use PE and fly in Europe but if any part of the flight originates or ends in PE coverage area, it should be no problem to do the whole flight online.

One would have to make sure to log off the PE network leaving coverage area, kind of extra unnecessary thing to remember ( there is enough things to be alert of while flying .. :) )

In other words, it would be nice if what Andrew and I described could be welcome on PE.

I do not think it would send any wrong message as long as flight originated or ended in PE coverage area.

Just my 2 cents... :)

Cheers, Andrzej