GTN750/650 (and more) for XP10!!

Ryan B

Re: GTN750/650 (and more) for XP10!!

Post by Ryan B »

Send me a PM about navdata

Basically navigraph doesn't work

It sort of overrides the stock xplane gps units. It's fairly configurable and pretty sweet. Now we just need some cockpit integrations. There are some third party addons that don't play well. So far I've found the Carenado A36 Bonanza's HSI won't really talk to it... something with the datarefs. I don't understand how those work but maybe someone could get it working some day.

I DID get it to work well with their C90 King air!
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
svilenv

Post by svilenv »

Just noticed this new clarification on their website:
Includes GTN for X-Plane 11 free update (when available).
That's pretty swell, and together with the PE integration tips the scales towards purchasing.
Svilen Vassilev (N217S)
PE I-11 graduate, Certified Armchair Pilot
| Youtube flight recordings | Livestream
RonCraighead

Post by RonCraighead »

I'm thinking of using this with a Beechcraft, although I'd LOVE to use it with the Vflyteair Cherokee 140 classic (It's oddly most similar to my RW IFR training aircraft, other than the GPS)

Is this something I can drop in instead of the default 430 in default planes, a pop up that I can use on a smaller touch screen on the side? Or pop up on a tablet? hat would be awesome... But I'm just thrilled to be able to practice the 650 outside the RW aircraft.

I've got some hours on it in the air. It's pretty intuitive, but nothing beats experience on PE to work out the kinks.
Ron Craighead
VFR and IFR Pilot, High Performance and Complex Endorsement (AT-6 Texan), Tailwheel Endorsement (Cessna 170), Spin Endorsement (Great Lakes) and survived some acro!
FAA Advanced Ground Instructor, Instrument Ground Instructor.
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

It installs as a 2D popup. There's probably a way to get it into the VC of some addons, if there's space for it.

As for the smaller touch screen... I'm not sure. I was under the impression XP10 did not do well with multiple monitors. I do hear XP11 will make multi monitor setup a piece of cake. Also, RXP will provide a free update for the GTN in XP11.
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
RonCraighead

Post by RonCraighead »

Well, I pulled the trigger.

I like it!

My initial findings.

It looks and feels like the real 650 in the PA28 I fly. I fly out of KSEE mostly, and the 430 in XP10 does not have the LOC-D approach. The 650 does!

So, I'll finish my IFR in an Archer with the 650 and an autopilot (Just roll axis, but it's still nice to have!).

Clicking the items you want is as easy as the real unit. If I'm in bumpy skies, it's tough on the real thing! I haven't found anything missing, and I'm able to expand or shrink it to about the right place on the panel of my vFlyteAir 140 classic, so it suspends disbelief sometimes.

I'm thinking of doing the CAT ratings with it, jsut to get some 'time' with it and learn its quirks.

All in all, I'm really happy with it! And yes, it will be nice when we can have some cockpit integration, although I won't hold my breath.

Does anyone know if the 430 will be more complete in XP11? Happy to hear about the monitor thing... That will be sweet, and it's ABOUT TIME!

Cheers,

Ron
Ron Craighead
VFR and IFR Pilot, High Performance and Complex Endorsement (AT-6 Texan), Tailwheel Endorsement (Cessna 170), Spin Endorsement (Great Lakes) and survived some acro!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Keep in mind, the Reality XP software is actually a bridge to the Garmin Trainer (from....Garmin). So, I would expect the system fidelity to be pretty amazing :)
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

Thanks for the PIREP Ron. I've been enjoying watching Max and JonFly's Twitch streams with this unit and plan to get one too. Amazing technology. Easy for me to get dependent though. I fly a Cirrus Perspective (G-1000) RW and sim, but every now and then I skip it and hand-fly the VORs - including approaches and holds. Always a good idea to throw in some /A now and then. Amazing how perishable that skill is if it goes unused.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
RonCraighead

Post by RonCraighead »

It sure does go fast!

I have a tendency to get lazy with autopilots while in the sim... Learning procedures and tinkering.

I should log in and fly some simple trips by hand before I get back to my IFR.

I've got 12 more hours... Things keep getting in the way. My boss quit, I got orders for a week to disappear. Travel for work. The usual. Next thing you know, It's been six weeks since I've trained!

But I came back to the CAT ratings, so I might play with those this weekend to get my head back in the game.

Anyhow, really loving the 650. I would not have known about it without this thread!
Ron Craighead
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Nice post... yep I'm sure spoiled with it. I was using Flight1's in P3D for the longest time, but now I'm flying more in XP. (Don't judge me.. child of the magenta lol!)

I also have a fascination with glass cockpits... I just love them. Especially love what Aerobask is doing with their latest Epic aircraft and upcoming Pipstrel (spelling eek!) - their Dynon Skyview is so smooth and amazing!

PUT THAT GLASS RIGHT IN MY FACE YUMMMMYYY!!! :twisted:

(see here I am again, sitting in front of glass :mrgreen: )

FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
RonCraighead

Post by RonCraighead »

Okay... I don't use my HP touch screen for much (23")...

But it works GREAT with the 650!!!!

I'm totally hooked...

Ron
Ron Craighead