Unable to contact tower during approach

NM Doug

Unable to contact tower during approach

Post by NM Doug »

I was cleared for the ILS RWY 8 approach into KBUR this evening and told to contact the tower at the outer marker. At the marker, I switched over to the tower and made my radio call but didn't get an answer, so after trying a couple more times (and double-checking the frequency), I called up approach again and told them where I was and that I was unable to contact Burbank tower. I finagled a clearance to land and all ended well.

I had the approach plate open, and I probably should have tried Burbank ground instead (given that the ground controller is probably in the same room as the tower controller). Also, r/w I would've have tried COM2, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that PE listens on COM1 only (is this the case?)

If I had tried these radio tests and gotten no response, would I have squawked 7600 and proceeded to land, given that I had been cleared for the approach? It was VMC, so it would be feasible to enter the traffic pattern (though I have to admit, I didn't look before taking off to see what direction of traffic Burbank has, and this strikes me as much more dangerous, as in "gee, what else could I do to completely surprise the controllers?" :o )

Just curious...!
Brandon Grchan

Re: Unable to contact tower during approach

Post by Brandon Grchan »

Hi Doug,

I was your approach controller tonight.

Let me start with a simple explanation of what the issue with the comms was. Basically, it was an issue with the tower controller(who just relieved another controller) having the wrong set of frequencies set on his end. He quickly realized the problem and the radios were malfunctioning for amazingly only the two minutes that you were on his freq.

You did right by changing back to my frequency as I was quickly able to attain a landing clearance for you via the landline from the local controller. keep in mind also had you squawk 7600 In the r/w you would have received a steady green(?) light from the tower letting you know you have been cleared to land.

Yes the comm2 function is currently NOT working.
Brandon Grchan
PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

To an aircraft in flight, correct. A steady green light from the Tower means Cleared to Land.
http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publicat ... c0302.html
CMEL-IA/IGI
NM Doug

Post by NM Doug »

Thanks, Brandon and Mike!

I find it interesting that although I read about and think about failures and procedures for dealing with them, in the real world (including in the real PE world), it seems my equipment always seems to give out at a time or under a circumstance that I hadn't thought about explicitly. I haven't yet studied the IFR NORDO regs in the FAR, but I certainly have had to think about lost comm VFR and light signals in the past - the funny part here was that I had it in my mind to "enter the traffic pattern and then look for the light gun." In this case, as you so rightly point out, the light gun signal would probably come right away, so I probably wouldn't have to break off final approach, enter a fresh traffic pattern, and only then expect to get a light signal from the tower.

I'm teaching a course about failure this semester (that's another story!), but I think I'll bring in this example - it shows how important it is to practice breaking out of preconceptions of "this is how it goes" in order to be able to respond to the actual situation.

Once again, PE provides a terrific practice environment - thank you!

- Doug
Last edited by NM Doug on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon Grchan

Post by Brandon Grchan »

Two-way Radio Communications Failure
(Aeronautical Information Manual Section 6.4.1)
http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/aero/virtual/ ... 6_4_1.html

http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/aero/virtual/ ... nario.html
Brandon Grchan
PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller
NM Doug

Post by NM Doug »

Thanks for the links, Brandon. I find that learning by thinking through scenarios is good (certainly making more neural connections for me than looking at regs or guidelines by themselves). The flying in PE then really helps me work bit by bit towards fluency.

- Doug