KASE - KDEN Flight Plan

Kilstorm

KASE - KDEN Flight Plan

Post by Kilstorm »

Looking to fly my Cherokee from KASE to KDEN and need to avoid some of the high peaks. Is this a proper Route?
LINDZ8 LINDZ V591 UVTUH V8 DVV

Do I need to put LINDZ after putting LINDZ8 as my DP and it already has LINDZ in it?
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
RyanK

Re: KASE - KDEN Flight Plan

Post by RyanK »

The route looks reasonable, but can you meet the 465'/NM climb on the SID to 10,000' in your Cherokee? If not, it's going to fly you into a mountain. Your highest MEA is 15,500', so can you climb all the way to 17,000' for your eastbound route?
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

I flew the LINDZ8 to LINDZ yesterday for practice in VFR and had no problem with altitude gain. On the V8 airway I cross the range at Rollins Pass which would be a VFR reference but is at 11,671. However both to the North and South there are peaks of 13000 giving me a narrow coridor. While I would file IFR I would fly in VMC and would file for 13,500 even though I am flying IFR. The idea is IFR practice with the radio and pilotage as well as flying into KDEN would rather just be with ATC already.

Is there anything wrong in my thinking?
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

If you're actually on an IFR clearance you're not generally going to get lower than the MEA. VFR you're basically on your own and I don't have the mountain flying experience to say whether flying those passes is a good idea. Should be interesting though, let us know how it goes!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Kilstorm wrote:Looking to fly my Cherokee from KASE to KDEN and need to avoid some of the high peaks. Is this a proper Route?
LINDZ8 LINDZ V591 UVTUH V8 DVV

Do I need to put LINDZ after putting LINDZ8 as my DP and it already has LINDZ in it?
LINDZ8.LINDZ V591 UVTUH V8 DVV would be the correct way to file it (note the period). This information is found on the chart itself. PIlot nav SIDs (as opposed to vectored SIDS) have a basic filing code, and then versions you can file with a published transition. These are the ONLY ways to file a SID in a flight plan.

Examples would be:
LINDZ8.LINDZ
LINDZ8.DBL
LINDZ8.EKR

Check out the text of the SID for the transition filing codes, as well the basic filing code on the chart title itself and all will be revealed.

This is a subtle thing that most pilots aren't aware of until they have to use a system with strict flight plan parsing (such as DUATS) which will not let you enter a SID unless it's precisely formatted.