Question about FlightFlo in new WUSE

Kilstorm

Question about FlightFlo in new WUSE

Post by Kilstorm »

Little foggy on who to call for a flight I did from KFNL Fort Collins Class D 38nm away to KDEN Denver Class B. I had to move a plane in FSE which was at KFNL and knowing I was going to need to be cleared into Class B was hoping call and ask for advisories while on the ground. Thing is, since this is a VFR flight and no GND, would that be possible and if so, would I call CLR DEL which the airport has a freq for or DEN APP? Any help on how best to go about this next time?
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Keith Smith

Re: Question about FlightFlo in new WUSE

Post by Keith Smith »

KFNL is treated as non-towered on PE (per the Hidden Gem feature). So, the question becomes, can you contact approach for flight following while on the ground at a non-towered airport? The answer is generally no. Depart VFR, remain clear of the Bravo and call approach for the transition. 38nm might just as well be 200nm away...you have buckets of time :)

There are cases of non-towered fields right on the edge of surface based Bravos. Those are the cases that require some positive action shortly after takeoff to make things happen. With the amount of room you're talking about here, even if it was a towered field, there would be absolutely no hurry to get in touch with approach.
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

That is the action I ended up taking of getting airborne and then contacting APP. Thank you.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

KFNL is not towered real world. There are some interesting stories about this airport out there. It was rumored to have been selected as a test bed for remote tower control. It's been 5 years since lived there so I lost track of the story.
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/20 ... /73173244/
Here's the story. Pretty interesting considering it's similar to the service PilotEdge provides, only to real aircraft in a real airspace.