Sqawkbox not installing with PE install

jport1

Sqawkbox not installing with PE install

Post by jport1 »

I have installed PEinstall several times with constant errors saying can't access registry, etc. I know to run as administrator and do that but still get the error. it stops about 99% thru the install and gives a windows error box. The last install, although with the same error, seems to work but does not give me a Squawkbox mini screen with the Tx/Rx indicator and squawk (standby/normal). Can Squawkbox be installed separately and work with PE?

Help appreciated.

Joe Porter
Keith Smith

Re: Sqawkbox not installing with PE install

Post by Keith Smith »

You're confusing Squawkbox and PE, they are two different applications (although they have a similar interface). You cannot install Squawkbox and have it work with PE. The protocols are completely different, as is the voice code, so they're not interoperable.

We've not been able to work out why the installation crashes in the last stage for some people, however, it shouldn't affect whether the mini screen pops up or not. In other words, it's likely you'd be having the missing mini-window regardless of this issue.

I wouldn't sweat the mini-window. You can set your transponder to squawk altitude from the PE client once you're connected, then leave it minimized and just stay in the sim from that point onwards. All you're missing is a TX/RX light at that point, which is not that important for operation if you know your PTT is working.
jport1

Post by jport1 »

Thank you for the timely and Comprehensive response. I Heard somewhere that you used sort of a of mini squawkbox for your online communicating tool. I was curious if that was needed to present traffic when online. I have used it and it appears to work fine I just don't know if I can see traffic without a squawk box/vpilot type program. The communications worked fine with the controllers and my squawk seemed to register mode Charlie or standby just fine as well.

I just want to make sure that I can see other traffic when on pilots edge in the future and that I have a robust set of AC models.

Thanks again for your help.

Joe
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1480#p9312

This will help you sort out model matching. It takes work but it can be done.
jport1

Post by jport1 »

Thank you much.