Need tips for departing VFR from KPOC through Class C

Balu0

Need tips for departing VFR from KPOC through Class C

Post by Balu0 »

I need to depart from KPOC to the west, and transition the Class C. I know the procedures this is basically CAT7 again.

But because KPOC is so close (under the C outer shelf) I want to minimise my workload, and avoid rapid frequency changes as much as possible, lets say I have only 1 radio and I have to tune it every time. I remember the CAT7 was close, this is even closer.

How would you go about it ?

Is it possible to ask KPOC clearance or ground to coordinate a squawk code and departure frequency for me ?

Or can I contact SOCAL on 125.5 myself from the ground before departure ?

I just did a short flight from KONT to KPOC and I have fallen behind the aircraft while changing frequencies (wrong tower freq was prepared for KPOC, have not realized the 2 runways have diff freqvencies) and my landing was not pretty at all, had to replace the left rear tire :D
chaseklvk

Re: Need tips for departing VFR from KPOC through Class C

Post by chaseklvk »

If you perform a straight out departure to the west from KPOC (in west flow), then you won't be under the Ontario C Airspace at all. If you want to minimize frequency changes I would suggest to request a westbound departure, leave the KPOC D airspace, and then call SOCAL approach yourself with the VFR request. Requesting VFR flight following on the ground is also an option. All you need to do is request VFR flight following from ground control (or clearance if the airport has a clearance frequency) and the controller will issue you a departure frequency and squawk code.
Chase Zimmerman | PilotEdge ATCS