Missed approach into KSLC

matcauthon137

Missed approach into KSLC

Post by matcauthon137 »

Let me start by saying I'm not a pilot. Everything I know about flying I got from fsx and online research. Much of it wrong, I've learned. Ok, here goes.

Last night I flew ifr klas kslc. While learning the comms on PE, I've only been flying between those 2 back and forth. I have fspassengers on but failures off. I'll turn them on when I'm more comfortable with PE. Usually, I'm cleared a visual approach and can do it no problem. Ils is easier for me, but am usually cleared and accept visual for practice. This flight I got cleared ils 34r. For some reason, at about 500 feet agl my SIM throttle on the number 2 engine moved by itself (I may have bumped the table, it's not very solid). I attempted to correct it and even them out, which required moving one but not the other. 300 feet and I get the power stabilized but am now way too fast for the approach. I pull the engines back to idle. 200 feet, DH in this aircraft, I'm in the middle of the runway, flared up and climbing.

Yes, due to concentrating on the throttle only, I lost control of the aircraft. I immediately pull up, raise the landing gear increase power and begin to shoot the published missed. In a panic, I key up. "AAL6295 is going missed". The reply comes back as I'm trying desperately to correct for all my previous mistakes and maintain attitude control. "AAL6295, climb 10,000, turn left heading 270 and say reason for missed." Reason? Because I'm an idiot. I acknowledge the instruction, "because the um... Thing... Um... Autopilot kicked off the glideslope at the last minute." "Roger contact departure on..." "Going to departure" Now I'm trying to tune the radio, make the turn, get a positive rate of climb, and talk... Crap forgot the throttle is at full. The dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Overspeed. I grab the throttle... Too late, fspassengers calls it a crash from overstress and the SIM shuts down and reloads back at the departure airport.

I sheepishly move the aircraft back to kslc at a gate and key up the MIC for ground. Apologize, tell them the SIM crashed and that I'm logging off.

I've flown dozens of missed approaches, hundreds of ils landings. But add in the "now you have to talk too" and everything goes out the window.

That's my story. Now from all you experienced people, I welcome suggestions, comments, criticism... I'm honestly trying to learn from my mistakes here. Feel free to tell me what I should've done or what you would've done differently.
bdavidn

Re: Missed approach into KSLC

Post by bdavidn »

1) Aviate 2) Navigate 3) Communicate

Always fly the airplane first. Your scenario is exactly why flying the airplane is always the priority. Going missed is one of the most vulnerables times for a pilot to lose control of the aircraft, especially in IMC. When on any instrument procedure, as part of your approach briefing, you want to make sure you have the first couple of steps memorized so if something like this happens, you know you're flying heading XXX and climbing to XX altitude.

If I were in your situation and was getting behind the aircraft, I would start my turn to 270 and climb to 10k as instructed. It's ok if you're so busy that you aren't able to acknowledge ATC right away. Start your turn and climb, and when you are able, acknowledge the instruction. Asking why you went missed is something they need to know (obstacle on runway, weather below what is being reported, etc), but it is definitely not something that is more important to report than not flying the plane into terrain.

I like to use FSX to keep the dust of my real world IFR flying. PE plays a big role in that, since as you experienced, communicating is a key part of IFR flying, and can definitely distract you from flying the aircraft. When you feel yourself getting behind the aircraft, just remember that flying comes first, pointing it in the right direction is a very close second, and letting ATC know what's going on is third. If talking to ATC is keeping you from flying, it's ok to wait a few seconds to let them know what's going on.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

I agree with this 100%^

Additionally...

Autopilot malfunctions are not something that are widely accepted as an excuse. Too often you hear "...MY FMC SENT ME THAT WAY" or something like that in response to ATC asking the reason for a pilot deviation. Unfortunately, that isn't localized to just the simulation world. It amazes me how many PROFESSIONAL pilots say that to Tampa Approach/Departure lol!

Just say "unstable approach" or something like that. Pilots are humans and won't get it perfect each time... ATC aren't there to judge and frankly just don't care most of the time... they will sequence you back into the flow.

Nice of you to load up and tell the ATC that your sim crashed but it wasn't necessary... unlike real world, if your IFR flight plan isn't closed out after radar contact has been lost... you won't have the CAP show up at your door asking where you're at! Haha
Kyle Sanders
Shinjo B

Post by Shinjo B »

Kyle.Sanders wrote:you won't have the CAP show up at your door asking where you're at! Haha
You should though. How awesome would it be to scramble the network. "All available pilots muster over KSJC in search of lost Airbus".