My 2nd Serious Emergency on PE

Ryan B

My 2nd Serious Emergency on PE

Post by Ryan B »

Gotta love XP, seems to give me the most trouble at the most unexpected times!

I still don't know what happened. But tonite departing SAN in my C340 (Carenado model), in XP11pb9, I was assigned a 310 heading... Well I could not maintain even runway heading at first. I couldn't bank right! I know it was busy so I told lindberg tower right away but initially I stepped on someone. Then I said it again and declared emergency - tower asked what I wanted to do and maybe offered a suggestion which I totally missed... I basically was able to make left turns so the best plan of action was to make left closed back to 27. Funny thing is (thankfully it's just a sim), I almost crashed completely because I wasn't climbing well at all initially. I forgot to raise my gear! Doh! Figured that out just before I hit vmc (not weather, the red line on the airspeed indicator)... so in a climb setup sort of in a left bank at high angle of attack, I was definitely nearing stall conditions. Grrrrr. Still I think I handled it ok once I figured the to raise the gear.

I've checked everything on my aircraft. AP was off, trim was centered, the yoke was moving freely, both engines operating normally, no needles dropped off. No clue :?

Anyway, I live to fly another virtual day! Special shout out to PG for helping me out :mrgreen:

P.S. In case anyone is wondering my first serious emergency was when I applied Full Rental Power (KS's wording lol) in a Piaggio P180 during takeoff and climbout... then experienced total engine failure which actually ended in a safe 180 teardrop back to departure airport.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Althar93

Re: My 2nd Serious Emergency on PE

Post by Althar93 »

Glad to hear you made it back safely!

I also like to fly with simulated emergencies... and non-simulated ones : try a kitten deciding to jump on the desk & stepping on the mixture lever while cruising, which obviously resulted in the engine starving. Thankfully I was not online at the time but I quite like the idea of having to deal with those unexpected situations & how useful they are towards practicing the RW reflexes a pilot needs.
Ryan B

Re: My 2nd Serious Emergency on PE

Post by Ryan B »

I found out the problem much later. Fuel imbalance. I thought I had checked my W+B before flight. I always do in P3D and XP. But for some reason it was way off...

P.S. I don't actually do a full W+B. I'd be interested to know who actually does that on this network. I would imagine some do for FSE or just because they're too hardcore :twisted:
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL